cycled to work every day for a month

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: cycled to work every day for a month

I hate it when that happens, have they no respect for other peoples property :angryfire:

I use a cable lock that goes through the frame and both wheels, it deters most of the cheeky bleeders but it won't stop anyone who seriously wants your bike.
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hehe, good to hear there are people who care, my beloved father used to use the argument that "it was the cyclist who caused the roads to be tarmacced" (tarmac is in my book the greatist evil). :pukeright:
a bike is a worthwhile investement! bought mine for 500€, plus panniers, and am looking at some cyclying shoes, compared to the cost of running a car... anyone who can't see this should be deprived of theirs!!! also, a bike you can take on public transport, if you really haven't got the time to cycle everywhere...
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yes! Cycling is the most energy efficient form of transport....even more energy efficient than walking!

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have fallen out of the habit a bit with the cycling to work.

The problem seams to be the fact that we have bought an Airstream caravan that needs a lot of work doing to it so I am always transporting tools to and fro work.

I might dedicate September as cycle to work month and cycle everyday. I could fit my panniers back on the bike to carry tools.

Anyone else fancy joining in and cycling to work every day for a month?

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Helsbells

I am on my summer holidays at the moment but will be going back to school on 6th and will be cycling everyday till it gets too dark. Also I don't cycle in the rain because I HATE it!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

mamos wrote:Anyone else fancy joining in and cycling to work every day for a month?

mamos
Would love to, mate, but it's 40 miles each way. If it took HB 20 minutes to cycle 2 miles, how long would it take me?

And don't say 400 minutes, cos I'd probably collapse after 3 miles and get carted off in an ambulance.

Zoe

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo wrote:
mamos wrote:Anyone else fancy joining in and cycling to work every day for a month?

mamos
Would love to, mate, but it's 40 miles each way. If it took HB 20 minutes to cycle 2 miles, how long would it take me?

And don't say 400 minutes, cos I'd probably collapse after 3 miles and get carted off in an ambulance.

Zoe
Do you drive to work or do you take public transport?

Could you cycle part of the way and drive the rest.

I have been really rubbish of late and now I have got out of the habit it is hard to get back into it but I like a challenge so that is why I am going to try and cycle to work every working day of September. Hopefully by the end of the month I will be back into the habit and carry on through the winter.

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Thomzo

mamos wrote:Do you drive to work or do you take public transport?

Could you cycle part of the way and drive the rest.

mamos
I car share. So a bit difficult. But good for you, both of you, for cycling to work if you can.

Zoe

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Disaster!

Lost a fight with a car on the way home from work last night and I have written of my beloved Argos (not the highstreet store) singlespeed bike :pale:

I am gutted. I have ridden thousands of miles on that bike and it felt part of me. i don't know what i am going to do without it. i have plenty of other bikes to ride so my month of cycling to work everyday continues however I am heartbroken over the loss of my favorite bike.

The search has started for a replacement frame

Bugger

mamos :(

Thomzo

Ouch! Are you ok?

Zoe

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Zoe

I am fine but my bike is beyond economic repair

mamos

bonniethomas06

Oh Mamos! Thank goodness you are not beyond repair! :shock:

Well done for the fighting spirit though, gettting straight back on the horsebike so to speak.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

pelmetman

If I cycled to work I would have to walk farther to get my bike from the shed than my workshop :lol: :lol:

Mind you our bikes have done thousands of miles.......................................straped to the back of our camper :lol: :lol:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am hoping to work from home in the near future but having problems getting reliable broadband but that is another matter.

I have a new bike! Well I say new, I have built it up out of all the scrap bikes I have all over the place. (Not useless clutter now are they dear) It hasn't cost me a penny and it was quite nice to cycle to work today although I might swap it over from being fixed wheel to being a singlespeed. I have a couple of nice fast descents on the way into work and my speed is restricted to how fast I can peddle.

It is a mid 1950. Ellis Briggs and it is very comfortable to ride. I will have to tweak if over the next few days to get it to fit perfectly but has got me out of my depression over loosing my old bike.

mamos

battybird

That is great...glad you are back on the road! Now I will have to feel guilty about the old bike bits and frames that I freecycled (and moaned about ..a lot!!) :oops:
I have a good excuse though...OH has been forbidden riding anything with two wheels so his beloved motorbike had to go to a better home, and the pushbikes went too! :(
Unfortunately we are down to driving or walking now!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon