what do the parents of larger families drive?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

what do the parents of larger families drive?

OK, so not really a question about 'alternative' transport, but with the arrival of a 3rd child we're going to have to get a bigger car. I currently drive a little 1.1 Peugeot 206 and am not relishing having to drive around in a gas guzzeling people carrier or 4X$.

I'd love to know if anyone has managed to find a reasonably small car that will fit 3 full sized car seats on the back row??

The car we REALLY wanted was the Honda FR-V but unfortunately because you can't get anything older than 2006 so it puts it well out of our price range.
The Fiat Multiple has the same 6 seat configuration but is terrible on N-CAP safety ratings.

So what do I do? When the baby is born the boys will be 2 & 1/2 years & a small 4 year old so will still be in full sized car seats I think.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone knows of any 'slim' car seats, that would perhaps fit better in a 'normal' car
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: what do the parents of larger families drive?

We're a family of 5, but that includes 2 teenagers and a toddler. The teenagers take up about the same amount of space as a child seat, so on the very rare occasion we are all in the car, it has been a squash for them. We have a Rover 75 (I think that's what it is. Who cares? It's a stupid, impractical car and I'd much rather have a van, or an estate car, or a car with back seats that fold down or a tow bar! Grrr! Oops! Sorry about that :wink: ) Anyway, LO is getting bigger and felt a bit squashed in her 'baby seat', so we've got her a booster seat, which will be better for the older two as well as they'll have more elbow room. Although the seatbelt goes around her OK, it does rub a bit on her neck, so I've made a temporary pad using cotton wool and a handkerchief wrapped around the seat belt and fastened with a nappy pin. We will be getting a proper seatbelt adjuster, though, which is the safe, legal way to put a stop to neck-rub.

So although I can't answer your question fully, would it be possible (in your current car or any other car you might end up with) to have 'baby seats' for the youngest two, and a booster seat with seat belt adjuster for the 4 year old? Assuming the seats you currently have are different sizes for different ages, would the new baby be able to use the small seat, 2.5YO use the big seat, and 4YO use a booster seat? He'll have a bit more elbow room, and you might be able to fit more in. This is all assuming you have a full, 3-point seat belt in the middle of the back seat of course.
Rosey xx

John Headstrong

I have a Vito van.

we have had it for 6 years, it has sliding doors on both sides and a rear door and 5 seats, It is a working van and family mover, I am always hauling things around in it. We had just had the twins and had a large dog when we first got it, it was ideal. Got a warning about the rust underneath at the last MOT :pale: I would be lost without the van.

I don't like the "family size" cars, they are van sized but with car running gear and the handling is bad.

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

my current car doesn't have 3 proper seat belts so it will defiantly have to go.
The 3 year old (who will be a couple of months short of being 4 when the baby arrives) is very small for his age (just gone into age 2 - 3 clothes) so I'm not sure about a booster seat for him just yet. The seats with a 5 point harness are so much safer that while ever he is happy in it & fits comfortably I'd prefer to keep him it it.
I don't think we'd get the use out of a van to make it worthwhile. I used to be a gardener bby trade & it would have been ideal then, but I only do short journeys now & when it gets used for family holidays I need something that will be reasonably economical :?
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be