Getting a Land Rover

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Getting a Land Rover

I think there are still cheap ones in France.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

We bought a secondhand Landy 2 years ago and it was the first time I had driven one, now I wouldnt be without it!! I love it and find it v easy to drive and manouver about.It is also big enough to fit plenty in the back and if the rear seats are put down the "boot" size is ample for what we throw at it. We have taken it off road and it performs well.
Hope that helps

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

On consultation with a friend "in the know" looks like a discovery might be a good bet. I love the 2CV idea but we need one to actually get there first!! Might look into when we're there as a fall back.

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

clanpowell wrote:Problem is that we're going to the corezze which is usually under snow 2-3 months of the year. The 4x4 is kind of a must. I'll look into the susuki, how easy is it to maintain yourself?
Take a look at what your neighbours are driving and you'll get an idea of what is approipriate to the area. Investing in a set of snow chains might make rather more sense than a 4x4. Importing cars (RHD) from the UK is entirely possible but not without quite a lot of fun with paperwork, particularly once the vehicle is of an age that requires an MOT. Check with the manufacturer that the model you are interested in can be issued with a Certificate of Conformity in France: certainly where older models are concerned, these may never have been marketed in France and were therefore never put through the process of certification.

John Headstrong

I like the Citreon Berlingo /Peugeot Partner Combi idea (they are the same thing just different badges).

A mate of mine has one, while it is not a 4x4 it does his whole 2.5 mile rutted dirt track thing very well, it is about suspension and ride height for him, not traction or torque, he does have larger tyres than standard but nothing outrageous.
They can be picked up quite cheap and use Peugeot 306 running gear so parts are no problem whatsoever, to be honest I am thinking of getting one myself when my current Peugeot 406lx diesel estate dies (which is is refusing to do!, I like Peugeots)

chicken feed
Tom Good
Tom Good

over the years we have had a good selection of 4 x 4 's the last few being

suzuki grand vitara
grand jeep cherokee
defender (03 plate from new)
land rover freelander
isuzu rodeo denver
defender

last week we decided we did not need to run 2 4 x 4's so the decission of which to keep came down to our 07 plate isuzu with less than 60k on the clock or the old r reg defender the defender won hands down more practical for our uses with trailers rough tracks to get to the cattle and were not too worried about messing it up as its easy to scrub out. as for maintanance its reliable and easy to work on with cheap parts unlike some of the 4 x 4's on the market. they are not the most comfortable on a long run but the practical side far out weighs that they are what they are a go anywhere work horse.

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We went for a discovery in the end. Haynes manual bought. Tool kit shopping next. I love buying tools and Mrs Powell has given me the go ahead as well. Great success!! I'm actually looking forward to doing the maintaing my self as I'm not a car person at all but it's one of those things that might always be useful

boboff

Good news. Good decision, hope it all goes well.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

Good choice, which one, which year?

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

All pointless now as I have written it off in the rain in France. Damn the lack of ABS!!!

John Headstrong

:( I hope you and all the clan are OK ?

boboff

Safe though! Hope you are all ok.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fortunately just me in the car at the time. Thanks for your concern guys. No injuries to me other guys broke a finger and a rib between them but other than that all fine.