Recommend me a greener car?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

Recommend me a greener car?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to pick your brains - I'm looking for a small car that returns at least 50mpg, cheap for parts/insurance/tax but solid and reliable, particularly in the suspension area because our country roads are a bit rubbish really! Something that can cope with ice and hard frost on a road would be a megabonus too.

At the moment I'm thinking of a Fiat Panda but I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone? :iroc: :lol:

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

Diesel Polo or Golf - built like the proverbial brick outhouse (unlike Fiats, which have the structural integrity of a wet eggbox), and incredibly frugal with fuel :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

try looking at skoda... we have one, they are made by VW and are a good bit cheaper... defo a good idea to get a car that you can always get good parts for... ie. don't buy a Japanese car.

I'd love a hybrid, but just too pricey
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Martin

hybrids are also a massive eco-con :wink:
Several people recently did the sums proving that if you take the "dust to dust" cost of hybrids they cost the earth far more over their lifetime than a gas guzzler.......... :roll:
By dint of the technology involved, particularly the batteries, if you take the embodied energy costs into account over their lifetime, and recycling, a simple gas guzzler uses less energy (more petrol during it's lifetime, but far less energy to manufacture and recycle)
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

Stonehead

I'm with Martin on this, diesel Polo or Golf.

If it was me, I'd look for a post '96 Golf Mk3 TDi (look for full painted bumpers and oval side repeaters) in GL spec. The GL had standard power steering, electric windows and a higher level of trim.

The main things to look at are the front suspension mounts and the rear axle mounts. The TDi engine is excellent with outstanding longevity as well as being very frugal, but make sure you get a car with full service history and the timing belt changed at the recommended interval.

(I used to work on car magazines BTW, covering mainly used and classic cars.)

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

Martin wrote:Diesel Polo or Golf - built like the proverbial brick outhouse (unlike Fiats, which have the structural integrity of a wet eggbox), and incredibly frugal with fuel :wink:
:shock: :lol: like it! does anyone think golfs are a bit overpriced for their class?

Martin

:roll: no.......... the reason WHY they hold their value is because........you guess!!!! :roll:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

TRY SKODA, just like VW (polo and golf) but CHEAPER.

They are made by the same people, possibly in the same factory, John did alot of research into it when we were buying a car 2 years ago...

I'll send him on later with the facts (I don't drive so it is his thing)
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Gytrash
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: West Yorkshire, under a daft hat, with an elf-bolt in his neck...

My mate bought a 2nd-hand Skoda van a few years ago, thinking he was buying a VW with a different badge. He later found out that it was still just a Skoda - VW bought the company the year after his van was made! :roll:

So... can anyone remember when Skodas become VWs?

(I'm thinking of buying a little van for work, and if newer Skodas are just cheaper VWs, I might look at them!)...

Cheers
Dave

Stonehead

VW took a 30 per cent stake in Skoda in 1991 and started investing in the business. In 2001 VW took total control.

The first VW Skoda was the Felicia in 1994 (ended 2001), but it was basically a Skoda with VW tweaks and improvements.

The first Skoda to be built on a VW platform was the first-generation Octavia in 1998 (ended 2004). It was built on the A4 platform, the same one as the Golf MkIV (and many others).

Then came the Fabia in 1999 (ended 2007), and this was the one that turned Skoda from a joke to what people perceive as a cut-price VW (although it isn't that cheap, just less than a "proper" VW).

The Fabia was built on the A04 platform, which is the same as the one under the Polo MkIV and the SEAT Ibiza.

Hope this helps.

Gytrash
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: West Yorkshire, under a daft hat, with an elf-bolt in his neck...

Many thanks for that, Stonehead! :thumbright:

So anything since 2000 is gonna be a re-badged VW?

Millymollymandy

OMG who let Jeremy Clarkson onto this forum? :lol:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Millymollymandy wrote:OMG who let Jeremy Clarkson onto this forum? :lol:
:lol: :lol: ahhhh but without the clarkson bigotry I reckon :mrgreen:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Stonehead

snapdragon wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:OMG who let Jeremy Clarkson onto this forum? :lol:
:lol: :lol: ahhhh but without the clarkson bigotry I reckon :mrgreen:
Or the jeans! :roll:

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bit of a tip off - instead of the diesel Golf, go for the Vento, which is a Golf with a boot on it.
I've got one, it does 55mpg and they cost about 20-30% less to buy than the Golf - people want the hatchback, but I've no idea why as you can get more into the Vento (provided it's not a wardrobe or something bulky). The rear seats fold down, so you can get long items in and it's more secure as the boot is harder to break into than with the hatchback.
Mine cost me £1200 a year ago and I could probably sell it for not much less than that.

It's cheap to run, doesn't break (provided you change the oil at the service interval) and they seem to go on forever.

Only trouble is, because they're less popular than the Golf, they're also harder to find 2nd hand!