My first bike 'adventure'

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

My first bike 'adventure'

Tonight I had been asked to help out with decorating the float for our local town/village gala day so I decided to try the journey on the bike.

It was my first proper outing, actually trying to get somewhere, and back - rather than cycling down the road till I got bored and came back.

I decided to take the route through the next village over as it means using paths and pavements all the way (this had always been my plan when I got a bike as it seems safer) Though it add 1.9 miles to the 3 mile journey. (yes... I know :roll: ) The 3 villages are on a kind of triangle.

The paths are quite rough, and going through the neighbouring village I realised that there are so many junctions, roundabouts 'traffic calming' and bus stops... my plan to use the paths soon became my plan to walk half the distance pushing my bike :roll: :(

I left that village to head along the path that runs along a dual carriageway... but this path is very popular with dog walkers and joggers... I cycled quite a bit along the grassy banks inbetween the road and the path (still 20 ft from the road- no danger from traffic)

Then I had to cross 2 round abouts (these are at motorway sliproads)so I dismounted and walked again.... then through the town again alot of walking due to the pavement/road hazards

I eventually arrived at the hall. :roll:

After chatting to the other people there I realise I was a complete numpty... I was avoiding the direct road as it is a typical country road with no paths, not very wide and I would 'have' to travel on the road with other traffic.
Turns out the other Mums frequently take their kids (under 10) along this road on their bikes and they (who are also all drivers) said it was fine :banghead:

I came back home that way.

So next time I go to the village I will go the direct route and try to not be such a complete eejit :king:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But well done, Ann.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, we are all learning all the time, aren't we! Great you did it. And yes, footpaths are generally not laid out for cyclists... Mind you, a lot of the "cycle paths" tell you to get off your bike whenever it gets a bit difficult. :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Annpan
You aren't alone don't worry. When I first started cycling earlier this year, I would plan my routes to avoid busy roads and to use cycle paths where possible.

Now I don't really care. I'll happily cycle along almost any road. And I am really pleasantly surprised at how considerate almost all drivers in this area are, especially the buses.

Happy cycling.

Zoe

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Zoe :mrgreen:

and thanks Ina and MKG.

I know it's early days I'll get more confident... There is apparently going to be a cycle path opening near us soon (join up of route 74 from Douglas to Hamilton, if anyone cares) so that would be a good addition. There are NO cycle paths (or lanes) anywhere near us and it would be nice to not have to cycle with the traffic.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

tim&fatima

Well done Annpan.

The thing is, you set out to get somewhere, and you got there, (and back) in one piece. and you learned a valuable lesson in the process. Things can only get better. well done, you did it!
you are officially a cycle thingy wotsit person.:cheers:
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.

Big Al

MKG wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

But well done, Ann.
Yeah Rock on Ann.

The vauable lesson learnt this time was to try out different routes and see which one suits you.

In my prime i'd tailgate wagons down the A19 to get a faster speed and an easier ride but doing 50 plus on a bike can be exhillerating and bloody stupid at the same time but you learnt that the obvious route isn't always the best when on a bike.

keep the faith and you will be doing the coast to coast next year...

The Prehistorian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Well done Ann.

Remember that it's statistically* more dangerous to cycle on pavements/foot paths than in the road, not to mention illegal and terribly slower.

It's the junctions and crossings that'll get ya. If you are riding on the road as part of the trafic then the rest of the trafic will know what you are doing. But they don't expect people to be poppingon and off the pavement. Likewise, the pedestrians, should there be any around your villages, will be put out - you are to them what the cars are to you, very worrying. Should you hit a pedestrian then you are in for a world of hurt as you shouldn't be on the pavement to start with so you could have book thrown at you!

As for cycle lanes....don't get me started....worst of both worlds :wink: .

So, well done Ann, keep it up, think of all that fitnes you'll be getting and all that petrol money that you'll be saving :lol:

* in so far as stats are any good for anything!

The Prehistorian

BTW, I would recomend this:

Cyclecraft by J Franklin

if you are feeling nervous about riding on the road.

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

its nice to here about all these cycle paths and pavements to cycle on.
:?
i ride to work in the next village (4miles)when i feel brave enough, but have to contend with a busy bus and truck filled suicide run of a road.

its not an enjoyable ride but i do it to save money and "try to stay fit" i may not bother if the traffic and driving habits get any worse ill just get the train and try to stay alive and unsquished! :lol:

on a better note my bike is 20ish years old and still has its original tyres :cheers:
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

Big Al

jampot wrote:its nice to here about all these cycle paths and pavements to cycle on.
:?
i ride to work in the next village (4miles)when i feel brave enough, but have to contend with a busy bus and truck filled suicide run of a road.

its not an enjoyable ride but i do it to save money and "try to stay fit" i may not bother if the traffic and driving habits get any worse ill just get the train and try to stay alive and unsquished! :lol:

on a better note my bike is 20ish years old and still has its original tyres :cheers:
Not a frequent flyer then,lol.

I rode both competitivly and lesuirly for many years and ended up in a set of railings through a hackney cab, a ditch through a tractor and down an embankment 70ft from the road and help with a broken pelvis by a manic car driver. Thankfully the little scroat who had twocked the car had the decency to telephone the police to let them know Ihe had seen an accident between a car and a cycle.....

the upside is that i remained fit, ( ish) controlled the weight and enjoyed most of the time on the bike but now having not been a regular rider for a few years I do at times question the sanity of some cyclists.

One thing that annoys me is old people riding on footpaths.... the same ones who denegrate the young cycleist for doing the same thing and also in my town there is a greater number of granny carts that will do a good 20mph + and also grannies on these motor powered cycles both riding on the paths with no regard for pedestrians.... rant over.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember that it's statistically* more dangerous to cycle on pavements/foot paths than in the road, not to mention illegal and terribly slower.

It's the junctions and crossings that'll get ya. If you are riding on the road as part of the trafic then the rest of the trafic will know what you are doing. But they don't expect people to be poppingon and off the pavement. Likewise, the pedestrians, should there be any around your villages, will be put out - you are to them what the cars are to you, very worrying. Should you hit a pedestrian then you are in for a world of hurt as you shouldn't be on the pavement to start with so you could have book thrown at you!
Just to clarify on the paths and pavements - the area I live is rural, very few people walk on the pavements and paths (unless they are walking their dogs)

When I did cycle on pavements a few weeks ago I dismounted going past pedestrians - I hate that pavements are unused and cyclisits have to contend with traffic (around here, heavy farming and quarry traffic). Barmy if you ask me. I understand this is not the issue everywhere and usually using the road is safer. - which Iis true of the other route I am using.

Trust me - as a big fan of walking - I used to walk everywhere, I am aware that pedestrians are at the bottom of the food chain (so to speak)
I rode both competitivly and lesuirly for many years and ended up in a set of railings through a hackney cab, a ditch through a tractor and down an embankment 70ft from the road and help with a broken pelvis by a manic car driver. Thankfully the little scroat who had twocked the car had the decency to telephone the police to let them know Ihe had seen an accident between a car and a cycle.....
Not really helping with my on-road-soon-to-be-child-on-board-cycling :wink: :lol:

I am doing pretty well now - 6 mile round trip I manage the 3 miles there in 20 min, the 3 miles back in 30min - I have to get off and push the bike up some really big hills, but I am doing better - by the time I get back I can barely walk :oops: But I feel good for it :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Big Al

Not really helping with my on-road-soon-to-be-child-on-board-cycling :wink: :lol:

[/quote]

Ah but think of it statistically....... I used to ride at least 150 miles a day 6 days a week. During competition season it could be anything up to 200 miles a day for over 6 years so if I came a cropper 3 times in nearly 250,000 miles how long will it take you to come a cropper?? ( I know, every time she sets out the potential is there.... but in reallity......)