Dentures Imminent!

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Dentures Imminent!

How old were you when this happened Milims???
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Milims

spider8 wrote:How old were you when this happened Milims???
I was 18 and had to have my front teeth crowned as when I was about 10 the dentist fitted me with a brace that was so tight it rubbed the enamel off my front teeth and they started to rot :pale: Not only did he yell at me, he also fitted my crowns so badly that I ended up with an abcess (stoned for a week on painkillers, anti biotics and antiseptics!) then my tooth rotted inside the crown and snapped off! I did find out afterwards that he had taken so many drugs as a student that h thought he was Jesus! I guess that would explain the sandles!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

spider8

Dear God - I hope he got struck-off or whatever they do with bad dentists, you poor thing :hugish: .

spider8

Okay so it's over four months since I had my top gnashers out and a denture shoved in. Things are going okay except that I'm now due to have the hard reline done but we're going on holiday very soon so it will have to wait until we get back. I have had soft relines done about once every month and it's lovely for about three days as the goo cushions my gums and fills in any gaps and the plate grips my gums nicely.....then it wears away again, doesn't last for long :( . My dentist was nagging me to get the hard reline done but I didn't want it done just before we went away because if there were any problems with the fit then I wouldn't be able to sort it out and what a miserable holiday i'd have being all sore. He just didn't seem to understand and I really had to stand my ground. So tomorrow I'm having my final soft reline done - hopefully! I just know there will be some problem, the communication between the dentists and receptionists/assistants is hopeless and once I've got these dentures sorted I'd love to go elsewhere but they are the only private dentists in Orkney.

Millymollymandy

Yikes I don't know what any of that means (relining) but my mum was staying with us just recently and she's had her permanent dentures made, which she says are no different from the temp ones and keep coming loose every time she eats even with denture glue. I don't know why there are different methods of making/fitting dentures. :? Hope yours get fixed properly eventually and have a lovely holiday in the meantime!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

spider8

Thanks for the 'lovely holiday'wishes MMM :icon_smile: .
I'm worried that what happened to your Mum will happen to me, that the hard reline won't be a good fit. I had my soft reline done this morning.......he put a load of sloppy plastic goo all over the underside of the denture then shoves it in your gob, you bite down on it, then you wait while it hardens. Once it has he removes any pushed-out goo to get the shape back and Bob's your auntie - a snug fit again, for a while at least.
The hard reline is when it's a set-like-concrete plastic/resin stuff that's used and you're stuck with it for good then - gulp!
He was in a good mood today so didn't rush and was chatty and we've set the date for the hard reline for later in July but I'm scared.......what if it all goes horribly wrong and I can't eat properly again :shock: (I'll damn well manage to get a Chinese chicken curry and chips down come hell or high water!!) :iconbiggrin: .

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hiya Spider8.
I've been trough most of all this.
Sadly I've never had the ''luxury'' option of soft relining.
A pair of crude dentures was shoved up my mouth and I was told to '' get used to it''.
This took a while...especially since small slivers of root and tooth-enamel where still working their way out of my healing gums.
At one point I even threw a bowl of porridge trough the entire livingroom while I was almost in tears,feeling SO frustrated about the pain and the fact that I couldn't even eat ''Baby-food''.
But thing WILL get better,and your body will adjust.
It just takes time.
I'm now perfectly capable of chomping down a bowl of crunchy muesli or gnawing the last bits of goodness from my grilled lambchops.
But yes,it took a while...eventually your gums will become less and less sensative.
Giving them a good but gentle massage with your toothbrush while you clean your survivors can help a lot,too.
Don't give up.
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''
(My wife, while playing Lego pirates of the carribean.)

''If you open your mind too far your brain will fall out''

Millymollymandy

The good thing about this thread is that I now realise how important it is to try to keep hold of your own teeth, even if they are sensitive or give you grief, because having dentures sounds a lot worse. :( I realise after time it gets better but I had no idea anyone would go through so much agony for so long - thought it would be painful/tender for a week or two after the teeth came out but that would be it. :shock:

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well,once you're used to them they can be a true blessing.
But it can take a long time to adjust.
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''

spider8

Just to warn you that even when you look after your teeth and do as your dentist tells you, it can still happen to you. Thanks to a problem with the formation of enamel on my teeth I ended up having to take this route. MMM, it was more than sensitivity and grief because when you get to the point of not being able to eat, drink, sleep, concentrate because of the severe pain you will have them out. I'd say the first two months is the worst and after that things get easier.
Poor scrap! When was this? I understand entirely about the frustration with the pain and inability to be able to eat even mushy stuff (cried and thrown stuff too) but then you have to resign yourself to the fact that it will take time and day by day it gets better.
To let you know how things are now.......brilliant! I've had the hard reline and my dentist has seen me every time a place has rubbed, out with the whizzy filing thingie (you can tell I'm a competent gadget know-all!) and he solved it. I can have my denture in without fixative for just talking and drinking but if I want to eat anything it's in with the goo. My gums are hard and I can eat a fair number of things without my denture in now. To be without the constant pain and not to be bad tempered day and night is wonderful and close friends all know the score and don't think anything of it plus they now know better than to make me treacle tart for pud!
Thank you for your kind thoughts scrap, I hope you are now in a happy place with your dentures.
Oh, there is a Yahoo forum called 'Denture Adventures' (just got to the Yahoo! web page and put it in the search box and it is about the 4th one down) which is brilliant and helped me through a lot. Don't be put off by it being an American forum, they have people from all over the world in there including the UK. Thanks all :grouphug:

Millymollymandy

Spider I didn't mean you when I said sensitivity etc, that was about me and my previous wingeings on this thread :iconbiggrin: . I know you were having a horrible painful time so it was the best thing for you in the long run. I'd just always imagined it to be easy - perhaps it is for some people? I can't remember my inlaws complaining about pain but they had theirs done when they were young and I think they went toothless/dentureless for a while - don't know enough about the subject and I guess things were done differently back in wartime!

spider8

Yes MMM, I dread to think what treatment was like back then and I know my in-laws haven't been to a dentist since they were kids.......and they're 73 now! D-I-L has horrible brown broken stumps and when he smiles it's scary :pukeright: I really feel for people who go through the toothy nightmares but there are others out there who can pass on sympathy and solutions to get you through it. Hang onto those pegs MMM!

prison break fan

I have been following this thread with great interest as I have just had a plate with two teeth fitted. I was really dreading it and put up with a horrible looking front tooth for years. I was really self concious about it. The first few days were awful, I thought I'd never eat again! but now I am so pleased I had it done, I don't even notice it. But teeth, oh dear what a worry they are!! pbf.

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

"I hope you are now in a happy place with your dentures.''

The mental image that this sentence conjured up truly made my afternoon.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got my din-chewers fitted in '05.

spider8

Hey Scrap.......... :hugish: :iconbiggrin: .