Handmade soap

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Handmade soap

OK. Drumroll :icon_smile:

...I've made my second ever batch of soap - and here it is (sorry for flickr link) curing on our kitchen table!

I made my first batch with lavender and geranium essential oils and it was lovely. I made this one with patchouli and ylang ylang - it's a bit stronger and you have to like patchouli (but I do, so that's ok then :wink: )

I couldn't believe how straightforward it was to make (although you can see I've not done anything complicated to it and it's all a bit rough-hewn!). I see much handmade soap in my future. I've been using the first batch and it's great. I don't think I would ever have plucked up the courage to actually make any though if it wasn't for ish, so thank you everybody :hugish: Also, thank you Jill Stephens, I tried your recipe for solid perfume too, and it worked really well.

I think next I'm going to try some kind of body cream/ lotion. Gosh the world is my oyster... :flower:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Handmade soap

Looks lovely Susie :cheers: . I love making soap - which is just as well really :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I rendered a pot of tallow but then it has been sitting out on my deck in the cold for the last 2 months and i haven't plucked up the courage to see if it has gone rancid or not, some lovely colored algae on the top though so it might be a bit dubious . . .
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Making your own soap is addictive! One of my first combos was lemongrass and peppermint - it was gorgeous!

Susie

Lemongrass and peppermint sounds delicious. Rendering tallow sounds a bit involved, I'm afraid I'm still on olive oil from T***o at the moment! :shock:

I've discovered a hazard with handmade soap they don't warn you about :( . It's just too popular. I've lost three quarters of my last batch even before it's finished curing! Never mind (says she with gritted teeth) all the more opportunity for me to practice lovely new scents and colours, grrr. :iconbiggrin:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Helsbells

Looks great, I love making soap, it's good to know what is in it too, less chemicals.