Thyroid problems

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thyroid problems

Hi guys, after being poorly with severe nausea and vomiting for nearly 2 yrs now finally yesterday the docs hav found during a routine set of bloods that my thyroid levels r low. I don't really understand but he says that its the hormone that is relelased from the bit in my brain going to my thyroid that is low.
Can anyone explain this further? I am totally confused!!! I go bac in 4 weeks for repeat bloods as they won't treat me until they get 2 low results bac.
I am excited that finally after all this time we may be nearing a conclusion to this nightmare. I hav looked up the symptoms and I tick most of the boxes but I definatly havnt put on weight!! I wish I had but I'm struggling to hold my weight because I'm not eating properly with the sickness.
Any advice as always is gratefully received. Sue xxx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Thyroid problems

Sounds like you're not producing enough TSH - thyroid stimulating hormone. It's produced in the pituitary gland in the brain (if memory serves - long time since I did anatomy and physiology) and regulates how much thyroxine your thyroid gland produces.

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to help it - seaweed contains iodine which is needed for thyroxine production, but I think your problem is further back in the sequence IYKWIM.

I'd wait until they give a full diagnosis and then do a bit of research.

At least it sounds like you're getting somewhere - sorry to hear you've been ill for such a long time! It should get better quite quickly once they start treating you though :hugish:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

This is going to sound a bit odd, but try seeing a chiropractor about your neck. During my "Year of Hell" one of the problems that turned up was severe hypothyroidism, but I reacted so badly to the thyroid medication that I gave up trying to treat it. Then my other problems were traced to my neck being out of alignment, and I started getting it adjusted, suddenly my thyroid was just fine!

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ellendra wrote:This is going to sound a bit odd, but try seeing a chiropractor about your neck. During my "Year of Hell" one of the problems that turned up was severe hypothyroidism, but I reacted so badly to the thyroid medication that I gave up trying to treat it. Then my other problems were traced to my neck being out of alignment, and I started getting it adjusted, suddenly my thyroid was just fine!
I've sent u a wee pm hunni. If u don't get it let me know as I'm not sure if it sent!! S xx

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Mrs H avoid broccoli for the moment a natural chemical in the vege can cause problems for people with thyroid problems, i'l have to find the book with the data but when i do i'll sen you more info.
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Archanejil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Your thyroid essentially regulates your metabolism and such -- bearing in mind that not all the symptom boxes need be checked for you to have the problem (there's over 40 associated symptoms, depending on age and gender!).

I had a problem with my thyroid a few years ago; it wasn't pleasant. Essentially, the higher your TSH number, the worse off you are. Your body basically goes "er, we've not got enough thyroxine here, best make some more of that thyroid stimulating hormone to make everything run better". So you get lots of TSH in your bloods, indicating an issue with you thyroid ...if that makes sense?

I went on levothyroxine for a while and the problem spontaneously cleared up after about 18 months (which is a bit odd, but I'm not questioning it). My grandmother had similar happen, although my mother's been on synthroid/levothyroxine for the last 35 years or so. It depends on what is wrong with the thyroid exactly, I think as it can be a few things. I still have mine checked regularly (once a year) just in case.

Weight gain is a common one (I got it -- two stone's worth down to a slow metabolism, a lack of energy, and feeling hungry at erratic times), but not everyone gets it. In fact, weight loss can also occur, as well as naff all to your weight. I also got a slew of ear/throat infections, reynaud's syndrome, brittle hair/nails, anxiety attacks... all sorts.

There are goiterogenic (thyroid-problem-causing) veggies about -- broccoli being the most known about. Kale and soy products (especially the soy beans themselves) are supposed to be quite bad too. Mind, I've always found that a bit here'n there never really hurt me. I bet though if I ate mostly edamame, soy products and broccoli for a few days straight I'd have an issue...

Good luck with it -- it's a tricky one to diagnose. I had issues with mine for four years before it was diagnosed.

spider8

I wish you a speedy diagnosis and recovery Mrs H. I don't have any experience with thyroid issues so can't advise but wish you all the best :hugish: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.