L5 S1 spine injury

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

L5 S1 spine injury

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 am

That's what the ortho surgeon thinks I damaged at work when I threw myself over a fence to get away from a bull. But I'm in soooo much pain right now, I just can't stand it and I'm on loads of drugs to try kill the pain too.
Pain, pain pain is just driving me nuts, I have an MRI in a few days cos they think I might have some rare thing that affects bladder bowel functions ... I just want to take a knife and dig it into my buttock right at this moment the pain is just unbelievable.
Just wanted to share..

Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: L5 S1 spine injury

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am

That sounds awful, I'm really sorry. I hope your MRI gives you more info that will help it to be managed. Hugs to you. :hugish:

(Bloody bull!).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Millymollymandy

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Oh Sky that sounds awful, I do hope they will be able to help you soon. I know the feeling of pain when even really strong prescription drugs with the don't drink or drive type symbols on them do absolutely nothing for it (this was when I broke my foot). So I sympathise. :hugish:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)

http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Ouch, that sounds bad!

Do you have access to any reputable essential oil suppliers (sorry know nothing about suppliers at your end)?

If you can get hold of some plai and some cinnamon, equal quantities in some carrier oil (5 drops each in 10ml).

Plai (from the ginger family) is an absolutely phenomenal and long-lasting painkiller and cinnamon has strong anti-inflammatory properties. They won't interfere with your prescribed painkillers but will help it and you may find you can reduce the tablets a bit.

Which brings me to the next point - presuming they're codeine based analgesics - are your bowel/bladder problems caused by constipation? I'm sure they've already thought of that but just in case :roll: If constipation is the problem you can massage your abdomen, clockwise, with some of the cinnamon and carrier to get things moving- believe me it's brilliant! Plenty of water as well, of course.

I'm assuming, of course that you're not pregnant!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Ouch! That sounds horrible, I sympathise and hope you feel better soon. Hope you are able to stay warm and rested.

Milims

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Ouch - not nice! On the good side as the sewlling and bruising goes down so should the pain. I do hope that there isn't too much damage and that nothing is lasting. Take care and hope you are well soon xx :hugish:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Keaniebean

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:23 pm

That sound horrible, back pain is always just plain nasty :( . I wish you well and hope you are pain free soon. :hugish: :hugish: :hugish:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

spider8

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm

You poor thing, I do hope you get help and everything gets better very soon :hugish: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Thomzo

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that. I do hope the pain subsides soon and that the problem is sorted out. A very gentle :hugish: from me.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Thank you, I posted this last night in complete frustration at the pain. Have the MRI Saturday morning and see the consultant Monday to find out what action to take.

pelmetman

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Oh Sky we do so sympathise with you, hope you feel better soon.
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Sky - Mrs Homegrown here - Gail!
DH asked me if I would send a greeting your way as I too have had the same problems you are facing - twice in fact! Four years ago while 21wks pregnant with our No 2, I had a 4WD injury whereby I was getting into a friends 4WD, it was wet, I slipped, I covered my tummy to protect bubs, fell backwards, landed on my L hip which cracked it, twisted my spine which popped the lowest 2 discs in my back of which the L5 SI is one of them. They couldn't do anything for me while I was pregant which meant I was in hideous pain 24/7 and of course as bubs grew, the pressure got worse and so did the pain. I wasn't able to take any analgesics coz of being pregnant, but what I could do was have accupuncture. It did relieve the pain somewhat and made things tolerable - just! Six months after bubs born, I had a double discectomy done, whereby they surgeon shaved the discs back so they are not bulging onto the nerves. This took away the hideous pain down my buttocks and leg which was such a relief! Now 4 years down the track, I've just had another discectomy done as it re-ruptured after picking up a huge rock - stupid I know!!! I am just 3 weeks post surgery now and once again relieved of the horrible, horrible pain... still just got a bit of numbness in my left foot, which I've been told will take a couple of years to go away, so I can live with that!
As "greenaura" said, is your tummy/bowel problems due to the meds? I had the same problem as well which seems to be fairly normal when you are taking either codeine based meds or anti-inflams such as Voltaren which is just horrible on your bowels. I had to take Omeprazole (Losec) to help counteract this. I am now on a herbal regime which has just been brillient. My herbalist recommended having a warm cup of milk with nutmeg and manuka honey in it. This will help settle the tummy and hopefully take away the diarrhoea if you have it. There was no limit to how much of this you drank. The other thing that is helpful is slippery elm...
Well...hope this is helpful to you Sky - I certainly understand and am VERY sympathetic to your pain. I hope that things get better for you real soon - either naturally or with surgery if you need it. Take care. Gail. :santa:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 am

Oh Gail I am in so much pain I cannot concentrate
Last edited by Sky on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh Sky, I really feel for you hon...I know exactly what you are going through as I've been through it all too. I know its no consolation, but maybe use some women's products (if you know what I mean!) which will help. Definitely try taking the concoction I suggested yesterday as it will help with your bowels - and it doesn't matter how much you consume. The MRI will definitely tell you what's wrong and where to from there. I had a spinal steroid injection too done at St Georges, which may help you - its a lot like having an epidural and a bit uncomfortable to have done, but worth it to have the pain taken away temporarily. The day I had mine done I felt on top of the world as I had no pain whatsoever, (although no feeling from my waist down which was a bit scary!), so I went shopping with my friends who took me it to have the procedure done!!!! LOL!! This definitely helped for the weeks I had to wait before my surgery - maybe you could ask your GP about that. Hang in there and I hope you get some answers after the MRI. ♥
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

red

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm

poor you - hope they get the pain under control soon
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Return to “Health and Beauty”