Natural Health and Beauty Tips

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
wolfhazel
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 25
longitude: 55

Natural Health and Beauty Tips

Hey guys,

Here's some of the natural recipes I've found...

Honey - Great stuff, been washing my face with it for a week now and I'm really pleased with it! My face is so smooth and I usually suffer from acne, so that's saying something! :D My daughters are also joining in it, they're very pleased to be able to lick it off from around their lips lol!

Coconut oil - skin moisturizer and can be used for dry hair too

Moisturizing detangling spray - Mix one cup of water, with 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (depending on how dry the hair) and 2 drops of lavender eo.... I put it all in the microwave for 30-60 seconds to warm the coconut oil and then mix it all together and pour into spray bottle... My daughters use this every morning before combing their hair.

For a simple shampoo replacement mix 1 tbsp baking soda with 8oz of hot water. Stir until dissolved and pour into an old shampoo bottle and use as you would ordinary shampoo. I actually added and then strained dried rosemary into this to give it a bit of scent but that's not compulsory.

For conditioners, there's a few recipe ideas.
1) 4tbsp coconut oil + 2tbsp honey warm and apply (this is next on my list to try but I need to stock up on coconut oil as I'm running out)
2) 1tbsp honey + 1tbsp olive olive oil (great for my daughters dry hair but it was too oily for my hair - I had to use comercial shampoo to get it out but it did improve my hair quality its just the homemade shampoos dont strip oil so it looked really greasy for me)
3) 1tbsp apple cider vinegar + 8oz water (you could add rosemary or something to scent it)
4) 1 tbsp lemon juice + 8oz water

All the conditioners should be put on before you shampoo and then left for as long as possible and then shampooed off.

Also apparently aloe vera gel is great to control frizz and is good for your scalp.
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.
It can be found at http://www.ecojourney.blog.com

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: Natural Health and Beauty Tips

Thanks for that.

I just use bicarb to wash my hair. Was conditioning with viniger/lemmon but i felt i didnt need too, my hair is fine just with the bicarb.

I made some deoderant from bicarb which i have been using for about a month now, but it irritates my skin and i keep meaning to by proper doederant so i can stop using it.
Do you have any suggestions for deoderant? I dont have accsess to loads of coconut oil and shea butter ect, im looking for smothin using more basic, cheap ingridients.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Natural (plain) ordinary yoghurt as a face mask is very good. Smear it on, wait ten or fifteen minutes and rinse it off. This might be a good alternative for those who can't use soap. As it's supposed to be good to eat if you have a tummy upset or when on antibiotics to balance digestive things out, I wonder if it might be worth trying on acne prone skin.

wolfhazel

Thanks for that tip sda I keep meaning to buy plain yoghurt as its propped up in a lot of recipes ive found lately... If I get some I will give it a go :D

Demi, olive oil can be used as a moisturiser. But as for deodrants I'm not sure... that's on my to do list to explore but so far the ones I've seen all contain baking soda... such as baking soda, corn starch and coconut oil...

If I come up with some in the future though, I'd be happy to post them up here for you xx

Thinking about it I have heard of crystal deodrant that you can buy but I don't know much about them to be honest...
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.

Helsbells

I use a deodorising crystal for my underarms and it works really well on day to day sweat (not on stress sweat though). Not sure where you can buy them, I got mine from an eco fair in london a couple of years ago.

wolfhazel

Do they last a longtime then Helsbells?