Antibiotics and probiotics

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Antibiotics and probiotics

Hi all

I have just started a 28 day course of antibiotics. Does anyone know if it is best to wait until finishing them before starting probiotics or to use both at the same time?

Thanks

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Re: Antibiotics and probiotics

I am not a doctor but I would have the full course of antibiotics first. Wait a couple of days and then start the probiotics. This should encourage the growth of good bacteria in your gut and give u some nice bacteria as normal flora in your gut.
Oh I spent the last thirty years working in a microbiology lab.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why would you not take probiotics during and after a course of antibiotics? I spoke to a doctor about them when I had to take antibiotics and he said they would not cause any harm or stop the antibiotics working and may even help as a lot of people suffer diarrhoea, was this bad information?

Do you make water or milk kefir, they are great for probiotics.

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not qualified in any way on this but agree with pumpkin. I would take the antibiotics first if it was me.

The doctor will have a good reason to prescribe them so I don't think its a good idea to take anything that might affect their work. Also as antibiotics are there to kill bacteria it seems likely that any good bacteria you put in there would be killed anyway. Waste of money.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.
Digger - I am totally clueless about kefir. I was dairy intolerant and at some point will find out if I still am so anything milky I have avoided. What is water kefir?

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Water kefir is a grain consisting of beneficial bacteria, including lactobacillus higardii and brevis. Basically, you obtain some grains and in a very large kilner or mason jar, put in sugar (it uses all the sugar up to feed on), add lemon, raisins, ginger and water, leave 24-72 hours and then strain and bottle into flip top bottles, leave for a couple more days, You then have a pleasant, fizzy drink. With practice, you can make ginger beer, lemonade and play around with lots of different herbs, fruits and dried fruits. My grandchildren loved it when they visited and we called it sea monkey juice (they aren't usually allowed regular carbonated drinks). Mine grows at a rate of knots, if you want to try some and can't get any (try freecycle?) let me know and I will sort you some out in the new year