eco menstrual stuff - boring for men

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: eco menstrual stuff - boring for men

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:20 pm

i cant remember if i have posted on this thread already, but i am going to again if i have!

i am also a member of the 'i love my mooncup' club! i have had to use a washable pad on the first 2 heaviest days since i had ollie (things just arent the same down there since i gave birth :? :lol: ) but i still love it. i am slightly unusual in that i have a tilted cervix and it sits low but this causes no trouble with the mooncup, as long as i give it a little wiggle to make sure it is in the right place.
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi everyone, Have enjoyed reading your posts.

I have been using cloth pads for a few years now, some are getting a bit ragged now, although I have been cheating for the last few months using (mostly) cheap sanitary pads, interestingly these are not the extra thin ones and do seem less irritating. I do use the cloth pads through the month though as panty liners and for bleeding between periods and for some of my period. Over the last few years, my periods do seem to be a lot lighter, and less painful, so maybe the pads have helped a bit, although i think mainly a change in diet has helped.

I can't say I'm brave enough to try the mooncup, and as I bleed from elsewhere too during my period I'm not sure it would make enough of a difference.

I would love to know what pads people here have used, and where to get them from. I got my last one from Treehuggermums. I can't remember which make it is. I don't know I'm motivated enough to make my own ( I remember my grandmother telling me they used to make their own, I was thankful enough not to have to do it!).

BTW, did anyone see Tribal Wives on BBC2 recently, there was one girl who had her period when she was over with this tribe (can't remember where, sorry!) and when she asked what women did during their period, she was told they just let the blood run out. They have to walk behind the tents though, so as not to be seen. That seems the most natural thing of all, but I can't imagine doing it here :silent:

eccentric_emma
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 pm

I caught a glimpse of the Tribal Wives programme you are talking about - an in fact saw that very bit. Yes to be fair it is the most natural thing but honestly how pleasant would that really be?! I guess I like the fact that we have the opportunity to carry on as normal when on our period so its really not an inconvenience (although I am one of the lucky ones who barely gets any PMS or cramps), and my mooncup has really helped at that time of the month. I know it sounds like a cheesy tampon ad but I really can forget I'm on my period!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:50 pm

I don't really fancy it either eccentric emma (I love the picture BTW), it's messy enough as it is , I just found it interesting to see how other people deal with it.

How do people make their own cloths, is it difficult ? (I am not very good at sewing)

JulieSherris

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Oh, I'm such a proud mum today!

My 18yr old has just been for a visit for a week - she's suffered with her periods for the last 2 years.... on one week, off for a few days, on again for a week... etc etc....

Anyway, I use a mooncup, so don't keep tampons or towels in the house. I have also just bought a brand new femmecup - thought I'd have a 'spare'! And on Sunday, daughter announces at 9pm that she desperately needs a tampon - and where we are, it's an hour drive to the nearest garage/shop that's open that time of night!

So, after a bit of a chat about the moon/femmecups, she took my new femmecup... and she LOVES it!
It's going to save her a small fortune - not to mention it will also save the boyfriend and his constant trips to the shop on her behalf, when she needs supplies urgently - bless his blushes! :lol:
julie.
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

eccentric_emma

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:29 pm

ellie12022 wrote: How do people make their own cloths, is it difficult ? (I am not very good at sewing)
I have absolutely no idea, I never fancied cloths and I'm useless at sewing too - I think you can buy some - I reckon if you google it you'd come up with places you could buy them, or even a pattern maybe?
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:37 pm

I do have some cloths already, I could never get the hang of tampons :scratch: , but some of them are starting to wear down, and they're quite expensive. But they are comfortable to wear.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Try www.craftster.org and search for pad patterns. I know there's a few on there. That's where i first found out about the mooncup.

Clarry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:08 pm

I know this is an old thread but I've joined the 'Mooncup club' today! :cheers:

Not completely got the hang of it yet but I'm giving it the thumbs up so far :thumbleft:

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 am

Just popping in to add my support- I use a diva cup and I have found that after three months I have less pain, less flow and shorter duration- no idea why but there you go!
I used a rubber "keeper" years ago but the silicon diva cup is much nicer to use.
I use reuseable panty liners which are flanelette and super cute and hubby just throws them in the wash (he does the washing around here).I bought mine online from someone who can sew (unlike me!).
I am a big supporter of the resuables!
YAY!
** avert eyes if squeamish and read no futher**
I collect my flow in a lttle jar and dilute to feed plants (such as beans) or add to compost....
I just can't bear waste!
Last edited by Jessiebean on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:45 pm

** avert eyes if squeamish and read no futher**
I collect my flow in a lttle jar and dilute to feed plants (such as beans) or add to compost....
I just can't bear waste!
So it's not just me then! :cheers:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Sorry peeps, but collecting it and feeding my plants is just a step too far for me... mind you, i did originally say that about hvaing a mooncup and now i have a femmecup i'd never look back!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:15 pm

I use it in my *orchard, Flibsey, 250ft from the house, diluted with rainwater.

*orchard = 1 plum & two apple trees! :lol:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 am

I found this interesting link - a personal experience of different cups

http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2008 ... d-ratings/

and this is a site that sells some reasonably priced pads, hope to get some in the new year

http://www.earthwisegirls.co.uk/body-care-c-10.html

Also I found a couple of sites selling sponges - anyone ever tried one?

http://www.earthwisegirls.co.uk/sponge- ... p-247.html

:wave: