eco menstrual stuff - boring for men

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
possum
A selfsufficientish Regular

wow chill, it wasn't aimed at you, it was a general you, or perhaps I should have said "one" I was trying to make it impersonal as I wasn't aiming for a dig at anyone.

At for "the curse" I was referring to decades back when things like this were not spoken of exept in hushed wispers if at all.
Opinionated but harmless

red

I wonder if 'the curse' is a Brit thing? I have heard lots of phrases..... 'red flag day'.... 'auntie visiting' (how stupid is that?) and of course from now on we will all be calling it our budwick :wink:

seriously though - I hate that it has been covered up - that its a subject that effects us about 25% of our lives and we are not sposed to mention it!!! presumably because it might upset someone who does not have to deal with it.. grumble grumble
well it gets mentioned in my house!

Possom - gladd things have worked out for you - its great to be natural, sometimes nature gets it a bit wrong and needs a nudge.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

My mooncup is great, I managed to get it from Boots but it only takes up a tiny shelf space so it's tricky to spot. At first I thought it would be a bit messy to deal with but it is sooo much better than anything else - no sanitary towel in bins to empty, no tampons not getting flsuhed down the loo, no pads to hold onto and wash you can't beat it :lol:

QuakerBear

I've heard of the Mooncup. Where does one get it? Is it comfortable to use? Is it cheep enough to get one just to try?
QuakerBear

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Clara wrote:Presumably invented by a man.....

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001706.html

Good to see one of the possible side effects is "heavy menstrual bleeding" :roll:
i have a myrena coil fitted and i DONT get periods at all havent had one for ages (well over a year) which is brill as i no longer have to take 3 iron tablets aday to keep me feeling normal !
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Alittle something to lighten the mood :lol: http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/p/periods.asp

red

QuakerBear wrote:I've heard of the Mooncup. Where does one get it? Is it comfortable to use? Is it cheep enough to get one just to try?
I got mine from here
18 quid - so a bit of a decision.. but one I was really glad I made. much more comfortable than tampons - really easy to use.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

red wrote:I wonder if 'the curse' is a Brit thing? I have heard lots of phrases..... 'red flag day'.... 'auntie visiting' (how stupid is that?) and of course from now on we will all be calling it our budwick :wink:

seriously though - I hate that it has been covered up - that its a subject that effects us about 25% of our lives and we are not sposed to mention it!!! presumably because it might upset someone who does not have to deal with it.. grumble grumble
well it gets mentioned in my house!

Possom - gladd things have worked out for you - its great to be natural, sometimes nature gets it a bit wrong and needs a nudge.

Early christian based religions (took at the text below) to mean this was gods curse on women for eve eating the apple in the garden of eden hence periods be ing called the curse. when i had my first period i told my mum and she said congratulation darling your now a woman and i said exactly the same to my daughter along with would you like a hot water bottle !

Leviticus 15 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

Leviticus 15
Discharges Causing Uncleanness
1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 2 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'When any man has a bodily discharge, the discharge is unclean. 3 Whether it continues flowing from his body or is blocked, it will make him unclean. This is how his discharge will bring about uncleanness:
4 " 'Any bed the man with a discharge lies on will be unclean, and anything he sits on will be unclean. 5 Anyone who touches his bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 6 Whoever sits on anything that the man with a discharge sat on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

7 " 'Whoever touches the man who has a discharge must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

8 " 'If the man with the discharge spits on someone who is clean, that person must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

9 " 'Everything the man sits on when riding will be unclean, 10 and whoever touches any of the things that were under him will be unclean till evening; whoever picks up those things must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

11 " 'Anyone the man with a discharge touches without rinsing his hands with water must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

12 " 'A clay pot that the man touches must be broken, and any wooden article is to be rinsed with water.

13 " 'When a man is cleansed from his discharge, he is to count off seven days for his ceremonial cleansing; he must wash his clothes and bathe himself with fresh water, and he will be clean. 14 On the eighth day he must take two doves or two young pigeons and come before the LORD to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and give them to the priest. 15 The priest is to sacrifice them, the one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement before the LORD for the man because of his discharge.

16 " 'When a man has an emission of semen, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 17 Any clothing or leather that has semen on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening. 18 When a man lies with a woman and there is an emission of semen, both must bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening.

19 " 'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 " 'Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 22 Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening.

24 " 'If a man lies with her and her monthly flow touches him, he will be unclean for seven days; any bed he lies on will be unclean.

25 " 'When a woman has a discharge of blood for many days at a time other than her monthly period or has a discharge that continues beyond her period, she will be unclean as long as she has the discharge, just as in the days of her period. 26 Any bed she lies on while her discharge continues will be unclean, as is her bed during her monthly period, and anything she sits on will be unclean, as during her period. 27 Whoever touches them will be unclean; he must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

28 " 'When she is cleansed from her discharge, she must count off seven days, and after that she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day she must take two doves or two young pigeons and bring them to the priest at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. 30 The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the LORD for the uncleanness of her discharge.

31 " 'You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, [a] which is among them.' "

32 These are the regulations for a man with a discharge, for anyone made unclean by an emission of semen, 33 for a woman in her monthly period, for a man or a woman with a discharge, and for a man who lies with a woman who is ceremonially unclean.

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

also this is a rather good site http://www.mum.org/

Rainy
Tom Good
Tom Good

QuakerBear, you can get them online here

www.mooncup.co.uk/wc.php?u=1493

or ebay - just type in mooncup.

Millymollymandy

Not that I remember ever reading the bible all the way through but I certainly don't remember a load of blurb about periods!!! :shock:

So according to that, a woman is unclean for half the month, and every month 2 doves have to be sacrificed. For every woman! That's a hell of a lot of doves! :lol:

rag_grrl_nz
Tom Good
Tom Good

Millymollymandy wrote: So according to that, a woman is unclean for half the month, and every month 2 doves have to be sacrificed. For every woman! That's a hell of a lot of doves! :lol:
I just wet myself laughing, thanks for that :wink:
Helen @
Red Rag reusable menstrual products
Save money, save your body, save the planet
www.redrag.co.nz

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Millymollymandy wrote:Not that I remember ever reading the bible all the way through but I certainly don't remember a load of blurb about periods!!! :shock:

So according to that, a woman is unclean for half the month, and every month 2 doves have to be sacrificed. For every woman! That's a hell of a lot of doves! :lol:
now you know why its so hard to tame a dove :lol: :lol: :lol:

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

I take a contraceptive pill, as if I didn't I'd be off work for half the month.

I hardly ever get a period, maybe 3 or 4 a year. However, I've got washable pads in my drawer for when I do bleed.

I can even keep a set in my drawer at work, and no-one knows what they are!
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Rainy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Leviticus is in the Old Testement. Jesus came and washed our sins away so we dont have to feel dirty any more. As a Christian I dont spend half my menstrual cycle washing everything I touch :lol:
I think this belief is still strong in the Jewish faith though - Im sure in many cultures it is part of the problem of keeping women oppressed.