cep

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

cep

Have just eaten my first cep!! Well, one slice of it! Feel okay at the moment, so might have the rest later! Ina, if you are around, I'd love to go mushrooming with you, but I live in West Sussex!!! pbf

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: cep

plenty ceps up here andy. they look great. what did you think of there flavour....jim

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

sorry i ment prison break fan

prison break fan

Hi cruixman, My daughter and I only tried one cep! Just in case! Our book said to fry it for about 10mins, which I did in butter and olive oil, and it was really tasty! Hope we can find some more. We have lots of parasol mushrooms here which we are eating and I am attempting to dry. Lucky you with all your cep, where are you? i might come and pinch them!! pbf

ina

I love ceps... And parasols! At the moment it's just field mushrooms - found quite a patch in one of our paddocks the other day.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

hi prison break fan. and ina. i stay in north lanarkshire. in a village called caldercruix.
ive only recently started looking at the wild mushrooms. that grow in and around my area.
ive always been interested in wild foods. mostly via fishing. although ive trapped and shot animals in the past. the mushrooms that ive been looking at. i found mostly in my local glen. which is very steep sided and damp. probably perfect for mushrooms. and all the way down the glen. it has beech trees,horse chestnut and hawthorn trees. there was literally hundreds of penny buns in the glen. in vhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/33123392@N00/arious stages. but loads of the fresh stiff rubbery ones. that i hear are ideal for eating. i have not tried them. as yet. also there was area that had loads of chanterelles. they seemed to grow on the dampest mossy part of the glen. to give you an idea the glens around 1mile long.
there was also quite a few mushrooms. that i didnt know what type they were. the only ones i felt confident to identify were ceps chanterelles and horse mushrooms. oh and 1 puffball. heres the link to some of the pictures i took in the glen. thats the link above

ina

Your glen does sound ideal - we have nothing like it here! And unfortunately, I went on a fungus walk once and we were told that in lots of places certain people just pick everything clean... So unless you have the time to go at the perfect moment and get in before those greedy butts turn up, you won't get anything.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

hi ina. i was in the glen today. where i stay i dont think theres anyone. who picks the wild mushrooms.

maybe next year il sell some of those huge penny buns to a resteraunt.
or the chanterelles theres hundreds. i wish i knew more about the rest of the mushrooms in the glen.
il have to get a good book. heres the link to the photos i took today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33123392@N00/

AXJ

Still a way to go here till the hongo (cep) season kicks in, then if you don't have a car to head for the mountains, not much chance of finding any before the locals. :wink:

prison break fan

Foraging for Mushrooms is great fun isn't it, I am right down in the south. Did anyone see about Nicholas Evans poisoning himself and family in the news today!! Lessons to be learned!! pbf

AXJ

Yes it was surprisingliy up the running order on BBC news, poor family, all on kidney dialisis machines, not funny at all. Out of thousands of 'shrooms. they chose one of the 30 that can do you real damage. I wonder which species they thought they were eating, that could be very helpful information to assist others in avoiding the same mistake. Let's hope they fully recover.

prison break fan

I think they thought they were chanterelles. you cant be too careful. My daughter and I spend ages identify anything we are not sure of, and then we only eat a tiny slice to start with! pbf

AXJ

These (according to wikipedia) are the real Chanterelle thing click on image for enlargement

Here is a completely unhelpful BBC report

prison break fan

yep, talk about stating the obvious! pbf : :