Blueing bolete

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
eva
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Blueing bolete

Hi--

I'm here in North Carolina, US, and there are TONS of these blueing boletes growing all over the yard after a big rain. I've read differing accounts online of whether they're edible, varying from "choice!" to "never eat anything that turns blue!"

Any firsthand experience/insight? At any rate, they're beautiful mushrooms, and it's fun to watch them turn color!
Attachments
Before cracking in half.
Before cracking in half.
Blueing bolete original.JPG (153.65 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
A few seconds after cracking in half, the yellow flesh has turned blue, and continues to deepen in color over the next few minutes until all the flesh is indigo.
A few seconds after cracking in half, the yellow flesh has turned blue, and continues to deepen in color over the next few minutes until all the flesh is indigo.
Blued bolete.JPG (168.78 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Teach respect for the Earth and all living creatures.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blueing bolete

I have to say that they only mushrooms that i know of that turn blue have psychoactive properties and are toxic to the liver.
Im no kind of fungi expert though . . .
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Looks scary

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sounds like a deceiver bolete to me. Don't just take my word for it but if it is then they're perfectly edible so long as you cook them. Must agree though that they look a bit scary.