What is it and can I eat it ?

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
RobHed
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 51.4796
longitude: -2.5948

What is it and can I eat it ?

Found this growing at the side of an existing pot for something else and measures about an inch and a half - can I eat it ?
Attachments
New Image.JPG
New Image.JPG (26.1 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Mad Dad to Evie aged 11 and hubby to Siân

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What is it and can I eat it ?

Although the cap looks like a verdigris mushroom (poisonous) the stipe doesn't look thick enough or with enough texture. If it smells strongly of aniseed it could be a young aniseed toadstool (edible, used as a flavouring). It's difficult to say from the photo Rob but check out the gill spacing and patern and place the cap gill-side down on a piece of paper to get a spore print. Note as well the stipe characteristics (any pattern, colour or textutre, the shape and whether or not it's hollow) also what it's growing on/under/near, everything must check out with references from books/internet etc. before considering the edibility. You could try Rogers Mushrooms http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/ . If there's only the one fruitbody it might be wiser to use it for identification purposes only, some fungi have a confusing habit of changing appearance as they grow so it helps to be able to see young and old specimens for comparison as well.
Sorry I can't offer more help, let us know what it is if you get a positive ID