Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Locked
daboy3000
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 am

Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Post: # 214219Post daboy3000
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am

Hi All

I work at a Children's Centre and these have popped up in our new garden. I need to ID them ASAP because we are worried that they might make the nursery kids sick or worse.

We are in South London, UK and they are in a flower/shrub bed, the largest is about 2 inches tall.

Image

Sorry about the quality of the pic, I can take a better one if needs be.

Thanks

Ben

User avatar
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8582
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620
Location: North West Highlands

Re: Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Post: # 214225Post Green Aura
Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:10 pm

I know very little about fungi - someone else more knowledgeable will be along - but I don't know of any red capped mushrooms that are safe to eat. I'd err on the side of caution and get shut - quite quickly!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

User avatar
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Orkney, Scotland.

Re: Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Post: # 214226Post spider8
Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 pm

I wouldn't touch them as I was always told that red means danger! Don't know if that's actually right or not but I'd get rid of them.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

User avatar
gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Post: # 214228Post gregorach
Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Perfectly safe as long as you don't eat them, and if the kids haven't been taught not to eat anything they find lying around on the ground, you've got bigger problems.
Cheers

Dunc

daboy3000
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Post: # 214251Post daboy3000
Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't think we could trust 2 year olds to leave them alone. Any tips for removing them permanently?

User avatar
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: Help, I don't want to poison my kids!!

Post: # 214253Post Helsbells
Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Just pull em up, they may or may not return next year. they have a fine web of rooty mouldy things underground so I imagine it would be hard to remove them permenantly.

Locked