A type of oyster mushroom?

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

A type of oyster mushroom?

I spotted these earlier and battle through ferns and bramble to get to them for photos, ok, not much of battle at this time of the year!
They're growing on either a young oak or silver birch (didn't look at the tree sorry!), both of which we have growing in abundance in these woods.

Sorry about the photo quality, used my phone...

Sorry if the pics have come out a bit too large...

Thanks for any help :)
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: A type of oyster mushroom?

Hi, it's Birch polypore or razorstrop fungus. It's not edible but you can hone knives on it, and thin strips of the skin can make good makeshift plasters (Antibacterial properties).

Edit: Can't see if there's gills or not to positively identify it.
Last edited by Davie Crockett on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Penny Lane

Thanks Davie :)
Shame we can't eat it but it's good to know what it is, and what it could be used for.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.

Carltonian Man

The middle photo suggests there could be gills on the underside as opposed to pores; also I’d have thought polypores might be rather tough by this time of year and look less fleshy. If there are pores underneath then DC is correct, they’re polypores, but if there are gills the mushies are likely to be members of the Pleurotus family. Probably because they were taken on a mobi but the colour of the caps varies from picture to picture. Colouration in the middle pic looks good for P Ostreatus (oyster mushroom), the other two pics suggest P Petaloides (antibiotic chemicals in the gelatinous flesh can cause intestinal problems so best avoided).
It might be worth having another look at them to make a positive ID. Oysters often grow again in the same place, sometimes for a number of years.

Good luck and keep us posted

Penny Lane

Ah, now that makes sense to me now... I was reading up on how you'd use polypores as plasters and the picture showed a different underside to 'my' mushroom. They definitely have gills. And they are all the same colour, I'll take my camera next time we go up there :)
The Norm.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Davie Crockett wrote:Hi, it's Birch polypore or razorstrop fungus. It's not edible but you can hone knives on it, and thin strips of the skin can make good makeshift plasters (Antibacterial properties).
Crocodile Dundee no less! I am impressed :icon_smile:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

hedgewizard

Carltonian Man wrote:Colouration in the middle pic looks good for P Ostreatus (oyster mushroom), the other two pics suggest P Petaloides (antibiotic chemicals in the gelatinous flesh can cause intestinal problems so best avoided).
Could well be. A little early, but it's been very mild.
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

flower_hercules
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.21n
longitude: 02.27w

Did you feel it? Birch polypore comes ayaw from the tree easily but the flesh is quite tough; I tried to cut one in half with a knife, it was really difficult, you can understand why they are good for sharpening knives!

Penny Lane

I'm going back up there this morning - with camera this time! Will be back later to update :)
The Norm.