St. George Mushrooms? ID suggestions welcome

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Entrigo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

St. George Mushrooms? ID suggestions welcome

Hi all,

Found these at the edge of a pasture in north Wales. Size, shape, habitat and time of year all seem to point to St Georges; however - as hopefully visible in the pics - caps are not white, as most websites indicate the St George's are, rather light tan/brownish with a slight grey tint (yellow tint in 2nd pic is due to flash/lighting).

As they are now three days old, they are getting dry; also considering I have never been too good with identifying smells, I would say they smell faintly leathery.

Suggestions welcome!

Enrico
Attachments
St George Small 3.jpg
St George Small 3.jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
St George Small 2.jpg
St George Small 2.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
St George Small 1.jpg
St George Small 1.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 7213 times

fungi2bwith
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: St. George Mushrooms? ID suggestions welcome

They look like St George's to me. The caps can be darker especially when they are getting old. The mealy smell is very characteristic of St George's. However, smell is subjective, your leathery smell description may be the same thing.

Garry

mark_horsell
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: St. George Mushrooms? ID suggestions welcome

I had these st george last week. The mealy smell isnt strong, but if you tear them you should see a sort of floury texture. Your stems may be too long.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10713555951 ... NnHDUxk2JR