grow a hop plant?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

grow a hop plant?

Ive been given some hop seeds which im looking to grow at the allotment, but I havent a clue what to do with them. Can anybody help please?
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: grow a hop plant?

Not much help but I will say how I failed :oops: I bought a hop plant several years ago from a nursery and planted it at the end of my garden so it could climb up the fence. It died a slow death. I was over-enthusiastic about finally having a garden and a bit rash, not giving a thought to my soil structure - heavy clay, under water in winter, shaded by elder bushes in summer. Very sad, but it wasn't a complete waste - it taught me a valuable lesson about gardening.

That was rather useless wasn't it? Oh well, I feel better now I've confessed to plant-slaughter
Rosey xx

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've not heard of hops grown from seed before.

I can tell you however, that if you can get a wee section of root it will grow with no problems at all in fairly marginal soil.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If you do manage to grow it can you send some over to me?
Rohen the Dobermann owner

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I cut a piece of a hop plant a few weeks ago,it was struggling to cope with a heap of builders rubble so I thought Id try rooting a cutting.Anyway I took it home and stood it in a jar of water on the windowsill.It drooped looked sad and some of the leaves shrivelled up but some survived and it now has some roots.So,I have cut off the dead leaves and will be potting it up this weekend and letting it grow on in a pot on the windowsill till its good and growing well then I will look to harden it off in the cold frame and plant it out to run riot up a trellis.Im so hoping that it will get away as the house it came from belonged to an elderly lady but is now being renovated for a young family and they may not want to keep the hop.Im pretty sure its female as the parent plant produced cones.I may try again with another cutting.Maybe I will get a root cutting when the new family move in.
Didnt know you could buy hop seeds,does the packet give any information?

boboff

I have just planted some hops. 3 weeks ago maybe, yesterday I checked and the first ones were germinating. I got them from e-bay, and the note said they take from 30 to 90 days to germinate. I just put them in sifted seed compost kept in on a shaded shelf in the green house.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

dave45

I have hops growing wild in my garden.... they are impossible to get rid of ! like tough jungle creepers growing a foot per day in the growing season (anytime now). One year I'll try and tame them and maybe even use them.

Anne A
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Wot they said!
I grew hops from seed, threw them in the ground and forgot about them, they took months to germinate, but when they do they are invasive and grow everywhere, we just did not realise how much it would spread, the next year, I teased it into the shapes i wanted and was able to make a great window swag with it. We had it for a few years but took it out as it took up too much space in the garden.

DeneciePie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oh, I do sooo hope it is a lusty jungle weed!
I just got a tiny sprout off the root I planted a couple weeks ago and BLAST wouldn't you know. As I am carefully and tediously feeding a little drip line to it I lost my balance and trod right on it!

Do hope it comes back!