How do I sharpen me tools?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Doc
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

How do I sharpen me tools?

Over here I have a tutorial on sharpening secateurs and the like because over here in my part of Oz it is pruning time.

Grab your tools (or in my case, have your lover give you a mountain of tools that need sharpening) :hugish:

Give them a good scrub with a wire brush.

Using a file stroking away from your body, make about 4 or 5 strokes maintaining any angles on your blades..

A light spray with some silicone will add some decent protection.

Can also use the same technique to sharpen shovels, spades, axes etc etc

Guys, this is a real babe magnet :salute:

I have had soooo many offers from friends who do not seem to own a $8 file (sorry, do not know the exchange rate) but that is not a lot of money for an item. :cooldude:

Anyhoo, must go, the cricket starts in half an hour and it seems to be raining :cheers:

Love, peace and mungbeans

Doc :wink:
Feel free to check out my frugal blog over here

Save planet Earth.
It is the only planet with chocolate

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: How do I sharpen me tools?

Impressive!

Which reminds me - I've been meaning to buy a wire brush for a while now... :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Doc

Hi Ina :salute:

If you do not own a wire brush, you can use steel wool (brillo pads) for the same effect.

A note to all the English here:

And on a serious note, the cricket...a summer sport...what kind of bloody summers do you poms have over there...no play because of the rain? :scratch:

live long and prosper :roll:

Doc :wink:
Feel free to check out my frugal blog over here

Save planet Earth.
It is the only planet with chocolate

yugogypsy

Looks good Doc,

My Dad taught me years ago, I can even sharpen Grandpa's old scythe! :lol:

You got to admit, not many girls can do that! :wink:

:cheers: Lois

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Doc,
Doc wrote:And on a serious note, the cricket...a summer sport...what kind of bloody summers do you poms have over there...no play because of the rain?
I may be liable to prosecution under the terms of the Official Secrets Act here but .....

The rain is specially ordered and delivered from Harrods! (SHHHHH!) We do it deliberately to wind up the OZ!

(Won one, drew two, only two to go, you'd better really try on Friday!)

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

jansee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'd like to add what i feel would help no end our gardening friends to keep spades/forks/ etc both clean and oiled at the same time and it's this.
I have an old 45 gallon oil drum cut down to about a 1/3 of it's size and i've filled this with sand and oil (every winter i change the oil in the ride on mower, the rotovator, etc and all this used oil goes into this cut off drum) and its mixed with tha sand, now this cut off drum sits just inside my workshop doorway and every time ive finished for the day i plunge the spade or fork /hoe etc into this mix of oil/sand and give it a few push/and pulls pre putting the tools away (all cleaned and oiled) ready for the next use and this drum and mix last for years, a well worth while tried and tested bit of simple kit.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

jansee wrote:I'd like to add what i feel would help no end our gardening friends to keep spades/forks/ etc both clean and oiled at the same time and it's this.
I have an old 45 gallon oil drum cut down to about a 1/3 of it's size and i've filled this with sand and oil--.
now That :salute: I like :mrgreen:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Millymollymandy

jansee wrote:I'd like to add what i feel would help no end our gardening friends to keep spades/forks/ etc both clean and oiled at the same time and it's this.
I have an old 45 gallon oil drum cut down to about a 1/3 of it's size and i've filled this with sand and oil (every winter i change the oil in the ride on mower, the rotovator, etc and all this used oil goes into this cut off drum) and its mixed with tha sand, now this cut off drum sits just inside my workshop doorway and every time ive finished for the day i plunge the spade or fork /hoe etc into this mix of oil/sand and give it a few push/and pulls pre putting the tools away (all cleaned and oiled) ready for the next use and this drum and mix last for years, a well worth while tried and tested bit of simple kit.
How did I not spot you'd joined the forum before? :mrgreen: Welcome old buddy! :cheers: :flower:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/