Create a self sufficient community

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Create a self sufficient community

Well, freewilly's attendance here still stands at seven minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of Andy's famous wind-ups???

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

MKG wrote:Well, freewilly's attendance here still stands at seven minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of Andy's famous wind-ups???

Mike
*runs off to check the spelling* :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

healer
Tom Good
Tom Good

I was concerned it might be a con trick - give me some money so I can start up this project... :pirate:

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

More likely it's a 17 year old who 'knows everything'! :lol:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

red

ah well, there is no harm in having a dream
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

thegreenlot
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi I couldnt help but to register, if only to reply to your question, was freewillys post a wind up, the answer is no they have a post on diggers and dreamers also, although I think its a great idea, I do agree with you all, it would be really difficult, how would you deal with certain issues, how could you be sure that you hadnt invited a weirdo into the commune, it could all get quite messy, we have woofas who help out, been registared for about five mins sorry but I could not resist, any way hi to you all, thegreenlot

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Never appologise for posting, we much prefer folks who join in. :grouphug:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Ircelt
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 56.151073
longitude: -3.808331

I am also interested in your idea and would like to chat with you about this; although the people who I have spoken to here in Scotland unanimously lean towards each having their own homes within a community.

Good luck :thumbright:

southeast-isher

Ircelt wrote:I am also interested in your idea and would like to chat with you about this; although the people who I have spoken to here in Scotland unanimously lean towards each having their own homes within a community.

Good luck :thumbright:
sounds like a good idea :-)

7cats
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

do it in Bulgaria not Scotland ,better weather much cheaper houses and land, everything grows better here, friendly people, you could buy a full village for a lot less than that.

wattreesmassive
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Sorry Im a newbie too but I have to agree with the general opinion here,it takes a special blend of people to live communially,there are a lot of "talkers not walkers" out there and pretty soon the camp divides into the workers and the talkers,the workers feel resentful that they do the lions share while the talkers sit back and hold debates around the fire in the evenings!I also agree that Lammas has the right idea in creating individual homesteads around communal areas.I dont envy you your the task you have set yourself,good luck and I hope you find the right blend.

7cats
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

in our village theres decent houses all with plenty of outbuildings barns big gardens ect from about 2000 pounds each and loads of farmland cheap, its a better plan than trying to get 300k n loads of people to live together

Niele da Kine
latitude: 21.27
longitude: 157.82

Basically, the OP has TWO problems, not just one. Creating a community is a difficulty all in itself. Adding in that it be self sufficient is an added layer of complexity.

Usually to build a community you need some sort of common purpose. Religion, employment, some sort of passionate hobby, etc., will usually be enough to get some cohesion going. There should be a set of ground rules as well as a method of enforcement. This has been done in quite a few other places, so a study of the successful ones might be a good starting point.

Self sufficient is another matter. A lot of that will depend on the location of the village.

What I always wonder about is healthcare? What happens when a member needs some sort of major surgery or other procedure? I suppose, in countries with universal healthcare that might already be taken care of. Which would mean the village would best be located outside of the United States. A health care issue there could bankrupt the whole community.

What about inheritance? What about transportation? Where does personal property stop and community property begin? But there are a whole lot of things to consider other than how to do the daily living in a sustainable manner.