How do I make my house warm?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: How do I make my house warm?

In a different vein, but still on the 'heating the house' ideas:

You could also paint your rooms colours from the warm end of the spectrum. A soft yellow, or a warm hint of pink can trick you into feeling that a room is a couple of degrees warmer than it actually is.

I would avoid painting main rooms blue, although this is a lovely colour for bedrooms. It's also a daft colour to paint a bathroom: the place where you are naked & wet! Whist pink or peach bathrooms arn't for everyone, a soft cream can be just as good. Our bathroom is 'dove grey' with yellow towels and curtains & it always looks like the Sun is shining even on a grotty day. Really lifts your spirits. :icon_smile:

To see how a colour will look in your room;

take one side off a grocery box,
buy just a tester pot size and paint the three remaining inner sides,
stand it in your room, facing the window so the light can bounce around,
look at it at several times of day and in various weather/light condtions
Then, if you like it, decorate the room that colour.

Remember however, that things like carpets & accessories can have their own affect, but it's a much more accurate way of trying a colour than the silly patches people try and much cheaper & less hassle than repainting the whole room several times.

An other way to feel cosy is to have lots of soft furnishings in a room. Put a throw on your sofa & pile up several scatter cushions, or put a rug in front of the fire, or at the side of your bed.

Line all your curtains. If your curtain rails will take the weight, then old blankets from a charity shop are great. If you curtain rails arn't up to that weight, then used sheets, which will help quite a bit.

Always draw all curtains at dusk, and make sure they are behind any radiators. Better still, move radiators away from outside (& therefore window!) walls. Your rads are heating the masonery of your home so it seems silly to heat the outside bit. If you're stuck with the position of the rads, put tin foil on the wall behind them.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Anne A
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Have a look at my 'prize winning candle' post for some idea's, for this winter go for making the main living room warm and cosy whilst you live with the rest of it, and plan a budget over the winter for the rooms you need to warm up the most, freegle/was freecycle is wonderful for thick materials for curtains and carpets, old duvets make wonderful window blankets, build up layers and during the warm parts of the days ventilate and open up the house as much as possible to disperse damp,
make notes take pics and plan your gradual convertion of your home so you can prioritise as money comes available, good luck and enjoy your home.

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thank you so much for all your ideas, tips and suggestions. Based on what you have said and what we can afford we've decided to have a 2nd hand gas rayburn in the kitchen to take the chill off. To get a wood burner in the sitting room (there's one local to us on ebay for a tenner that my mum thinks is a good one, though when looking into the woodburner scene I fell in love with the yotul 118 - the ones with reindeer on the side, but they're a bit too pricey for straight away) I've found a local guy that does a pick-up full of seasoned logs for £45 which sounds very reasonable. We've opted for an electric shower upstairs and no other hot water just yet. In the kitchen the rayburn won't be heating water so there won't be any hot water in the kitchen but I think we can cope with that. The rest of the money is going on boarding the loft, damp proofing the cellar with some sort of liner/membrane thingybob, insulating the roof, hiring a big sander to do all the floors, and having a staircase made so we can make the most of the lovely unused attic space. I loved the idea about lining the curtains with blankets and so got some really cheap from the army surplus place to go over the french doors (which aren't double glased.)

Thank you all for being so helpful, it's lovely to have found such a friendly forum.
I reckon I'll have lots more questions so I'll know where to come.
Best wishes,
Holly

Thaddeus Bushwhacker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I was quite tempted to have part of my heating and hot water run from my logburner but my mate (who fitted it) recommended that if we were going to do it to get a bigger burner as it would take some of the heat away from the room to heat the water.

I looked into this when one of the two boilers in my old cottage packed up (the one that fed the heating), I got a quote from British Gas for a combi boiler for about £4k - I ended up hiring somone else to do it for just over £2k.

With our super heated log burner we only have the heating on in the mornings for when the kids get up - the rest of the time we let the burner do it's work!

Good luck with the restoration - I can feel this slight envious feeling, time to move I've finished this one - NEXT!!!!