How do I work out whats wrong?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

How do I work out whats wrong?

I am not a very technical type person, so please bear with me.

I have a three and a half year old washine machine, that has always worked perfectly. But the last two weeks when I removed the washing from the drum, its steaming and very hot to the touch. It does not seem to matter what cycle I run. Clothes are starting to strink :( . Do you think that the the thermostate has gone? Any ideas please?

Do not want to be without a washing machine at the moment :icon_smile:

Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

thesunflowergal

Re: How do I work out whats wrong?

Hi Susie

Still here, doesn't look like I am going anywhere fast lol! Poor Mr SFG came home yesterday, after a 14 hour day and still being ill and asked if I fancied a bit. I didn't have the heart, poor chap looked done in without me adding to it.

I did ask Mr SFG to check the pipes and they all seem ok, thats about the level of my practicality :iconbiggrin:. I can't remember whether is a hot/cold/both feed though.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Nikki

Yes, it could be the thermostat (if you have one - failing that, the temperature sensor) - or it could be the hot water shut-off valve sticking open - or it could be the cold water inlet valve sticking closed - or it could be that the control electronics board is up the chute - or a number of other things. In any case - bad news. Your machine certainly needs the attentions of a repair man.

Get the repair man in and ask for a quotation. Washing machines don't cost an absolute fortune, but repairs sometimes do - it may be more cost-effective to think about a new machine (advert time - if you do, think about a Bosch, 'cos their engineering is pretty spot-on).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

Just out of interest why do English ones seem to feed from your hot water supply rather than just heating up cold water to the set temperature like French ones? :scratch: Can you get ones like that in the UK?
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can get both types in the UK, MMM - not sure which is more economical, though. Didn't know that all French washing machines were cold feed!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Millymollymandy

Well actually I don't know that all French ones are Brij - it's just the ones I've used since living here (in various rented houses and now with my own machine) were/are all just connected to the cold tap. Maybe the top loaders are different?
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I thought it was the other way round. My AA rated LG takes hot and cold, requiring less power to heat to required temp. According to the blurb, it only uses the hot feed for the higher temp washes - 60 +95oC. My mothers c rated machine is only cold feed.

Now I'm confused :?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Millymollymandy wrote:Well actually I don't know that all French ones are Brij - it's just the ones I've used since living here (in various rented houses and now with my own machine) were/are all just connected to the cold tap. Maybe the top loaders are different?
It's not related to whether it's top or front-load - I've used both hot & cold fill front loaders, though maybe the top loaders are only hot fill?

Gosh, who'd have thought it'd be so confusing! :lol:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Sorry Nikki, I can't really help except to say that you could try turning off the hot water and see what happens. If it's still a problem then you know it's the theromstat. If the machine doesn't fill, then you know that there is a problem with the cold supply. Either way, you'll still need to get a repair man out but at least you'll have a head start and he can't fob you off.

Mine is a hot and cold feed but I only have a cold supply so both pipes are connected the one supply with a Y shaped connector.

Is it really that much more efficient to heat water electrically than to use hot water heated by a gas system?

Zoe