How do I avoid fungal stuff

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

How do I avoid fungal stuff

I've just spent a traumatic couple of weeks in Hospital (and I'm still here). Have been told what I thought was a simple chest infection was actually a serious fungal infection that within the two days before they put me on the table had filled and then collapsed one lung. I've just spoken the senior doctor and he'd spent 6 hours sucking out thick lumps - of 'gunk' - they even had colour pictures to show me (which got passed around the staff in the continuing care unit to much excitement)

It's my own fault apparently - most people would not have a problem, but I'm immune suppressed. I had heart-lung transplant 10+ years ago and for all that time I've had no problem, but now we've been making compost and digging in horse manure and now they're telling me that's putting me at risk and something they advise I don't ever do. Even digging the garden seems to be on the don't do list!

What the heck do I do now?! On one hand I never want to go through this ever again, but I know doctors tend to be a little over cautious. Has anyone else ever had this problem, or know a way I can go do all those jobs that need doing in the garden, which I enjoy doing in the garden, that I fear I may never be allowed to do ever again. :(
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: How do I avoid fungal stuff

Cloud I am so sorry to hear that you are so unwell, massive :hugish: and hope you are home soon. Sorry that I can not offer any advice though.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

pumpy

If wanting to continue doing stuff in the garden, etc; would industrial dust-masks act as a sufficient filter against fungi/mould spores? Would'nt do any harm to ask the doctor. :wave:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

crowsashes

the only way to do it would involve a respirator, probably similar to those used when dealing with pigeon poop etc and a set of overalls that would need to be taken off before going in the house to stop spore transfer.

its not comfortable gear to work in. ( have needed to wear it when photographing a place because it was full of pigeons .) but worth it for doing something you love.

any P3 respirator or mask would be sufficient as they filter out over 95% of airborne particles. but i would check with your doctor about it.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't offer any advice but I can at least give a small :hugish:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Yikes! Glad you're on the mend.

I would suggest a good quality respirator. Make sure it fits well, with no leaks, and that you can get proper filter cartridges for it. If you can get a filter cartridge specifically for fungal spores, that would be the one to get. Failing that, get the best dust filter cartridge that you can.

You could go for the full disposable hazmat suit, but that would get expensive. Instead, get a couple of sets of coveralls, because you will want to wash them after each use. When you finish work, keep the respirator on while you remove the coveralls outdoors. Bag the coveralls until you can wash them. Remove boots outdoors, too. Wear gloves while you work, and wash your hands thoroughly before touching anything else (especially your face)

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hope you'll get well soon. I guess ist's important to check with the doctors if it is the airborne dust and all it contains that you need to avoid, or also touching bare earth/compost/manure. Also it would help if you could find out if a single fungal spore could cause havoc, or if you need to avoid masses of them.

Perhaps a respirator mask for the most dusty jobs. Perhaps you could wet down a work area before you start digging there or save potentially dusty jobs for wet/moist days. Garden gloves and, if necessary, surgical gloves underneath those.

It would make garden work quite an expedition... sorry to hear you may need to give it up.

Please do take care of yourself.

Jandra

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the supports from everyone. I checked with the doctors again today. They do just want me to stop all activity that might put me in contact with fungal spores - like chopping wood, especially old wood, and even digging is bad. A full Hazmat suit is not really gong to be practical and would probable raise more than an eyebrow if I was waring it in the garden! I don't think I can even do potting as the compost might have fungal spores in it.

As for quantity, their view is that it's not something they can make an easy judgement on and so I need to avoid as much as is humanly possible, even if that means I have to hire a gardener (their suggestion). I think I've now been sensitised so I'm effectively getting an allergic reaction that can snowball very quickly (as it just has) in to something very serious.

The good news is I'm back on my feet and actually managed a 3 mile walk around the hospital in the sun this afternoon.

Also three-cheers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: for the physiotherapist here who work the weekend and have got my chest more and more clear with each session - if any one here has CF kids then you'll know what I mean
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

It's a really difficult one this - presumably you need to stay immuno-compromised to some extent so you don't reject the transplant, but that leaves you open to any opportunistic infection - and fungal spores are certainly opportunistic.

Sorry honey, sounds like you're going to have to keep clear of the garden, certainly until you've been well for a good while. It might be worth asking the docs if a sort of drip exposure (crap description - I can't think of the proper title, but you know, what they do with peanut allergy sufferers) would help you overcome it in time :dontknow:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was so sorry to read about your predicament, Cloud. I must admit, my initial reaction was "Stuff the doctors, what do they know?" But then you mentioned sensitisation and I rapidly changed my mind. I used to eat a lot of Chicken of the Woods, a bright yellow bracket fungus which tastes gorgeous - well, I ate a lot until, one day, I was violently ill after eating it (and I mean VIOLENTLY). I put it down to having drunk a couple of pints of beer at the same time. But the next time I tried it, sans alcohol, I was again violently ill. Being a glutton for punishment, I tried again - and was violently ill.

Fungal sensitisation is a bugger, and it doesn't go away. In your position, tempting fate just isn't worth it. I know that goes nowhere in solving your dilemma, but your health is worth much more than growing your own.

All the best wishes in the world ...

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Milims

Such is the influence of this site I misread your title as "How do I avoid the frugal stuff?" And wondered why you would ask such a question! :lol: :mrgreen: I can't offer any advice other than agree with the possibility of a mask, but I can send you good wishes and hope you are very well soon :hugish:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote:... but your health is worth much more than growing your own.
Too true, and growing my own lung full of fungus is certainly not what I was hoping for! :banghead:
Green Aura wrote:Sorry honey, sounds like you're going to have to keep clear of the garden, certainly until you've been well for a good while. It might be worth asking the docs if a sort of drip exposure (crap description - I can't think of the proper title, but you know, what they do with peanut allergy sufferers) would help you overcome it in time :dontknow:
I think I know what you mean. Sounds like the basis of a plan to me: Get well. Stay well. Then see what they say about upping my exposure a little. Maybe they can monitor me, or I can monitor myself to see if the exposure is having any effect. Maybe it would change my peak-flow enough so I could avoid getting bad and stop what I'm doing.

They have me on some nasty yellow anti-fungal nebuliser. That alone should be enough to put me off mushrooms for life! But then I sat out on the ward's patio in the sun this afternoon, and could not help myself from pulling up the weeds. I'm really going to have a hard time to avoid do any gardening.
Milims wrote:Such is the influence of this site I misread your title as "How do I avoid the frugal stuff?" And wondered why you would ask such a question! :lol: :mrgreen:
snigger :iconbiggrin:
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

spider8

Hi cloud and so sorry that this has happened to someone who obviously wants to get 'down and dirty' in the garden, like myself :shock: I do hope that something can be worked out for you and you can enjoy your heap again :hugish: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.