cats

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

cats

How do i deter cats from scratching my crops upand pooing on my borders :dontknow: ?

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: cats

Thanks for that link susie, will certainly try a few of those sugestions.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Anti-climb paint on the fences, prickly bushes, a dog, a cat, chilli powder... The plastic bottles don't work, nor does the cat powder from Wilkos.

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

At the moment, we are resorting to my partner sitting on guard with his nerves in tatters!

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

chickenchargrill wrote:Anti-climb paint on the fences, prickly bushes, a dog, a cat, chilli powder... The plastic bottles don't work, nor does the cat powder from Wilkos.
you know that bottle thing.. i didnt think that would work.. i own 5 cats.. but its the bloody tom cat next 2 doors down making issues with all my plants n veggys..
i put half ful bottles down, and no poop... lol.. amazed.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Haha, the local cats seemed to think it was purty and shiny and gathered round it when I tried it.

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

LOL.. cats dont half make me laugh...

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi,

I use concrete reinforcement steel matting over my beds when I've just weeded or sown to keep out our cats.
http://jandrasweblog.com/wp/lang/en-uk/ ... mooi-weer/
(you may need to click "English" in the left hand menu bar if you want to be able to read the text on my blog)

It works very well. Generally they don't go there anymore when stuff starts to grow, so then I take it off. Also I use grass clippings for mulch, which works.

Also we keep some areas open where they can scratch to their hearts' content without damaging anything.

Finaly: we've bought a 'scarecrow'. It is a sensor driven sprinkler connected to a hosepipe... It was intended to keep neighbouring cats out of our garden during the night, but now our own cats go out at night as well, so we don't use it. But it does work!

Good luck, Jandra

Mabu
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Put up an electric fence, put cat food or some catnip within the confines. Cats seem to have a very good memory, we get loads of cats on my land and there was one I made my super-best-friend until I was feeding the chickens one day and saw the kitty, called her over and she got zapped. Whenever I see her now, I call her and she bolts.