Christmas Hamper

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
lydneyian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Christmas Hamper

Hello All

Me and my partner have decided that this year we are doing a homemade hamper as xmas gifts - this may be early but being prepared is surely the way - we have been chucking ideas about and to be honest this site is a great place for ideas - so far we are doing (provisionally) Sloe Gin - already made from last year - elderflower champagne - brewing - some home made chocs -that we have done b4 - Jam - open to suggestions prob some xmas cake ....the list then stops ...chutney perhaps ..... can anyone throw some ideas in - bear in mind we have little experience in....wel anything really :-D

On that subject - has anyone got a pattern/instructions on how to make a basket - from any material inc cloth straw ...anything

Thanks

Ian

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Christmas Hamper

what a fab idea...what about adding some home made chutneys, pickles etc.....why not try freecycle for baskets......or you could pick up reasonable ones from ikea or wilkinsons

Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

How about sewing a reusable shopping bag rather than making a basket?
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi,
You could maybe make some nice bread? (If you don't have to dispatch the hampers too far in advance). :icon_smile:

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Susie wrote:How about sewing a reusable shopping bag rather than making a basket?

now that would be good.baskets arenice.but whatdo you do with them aftrerwards?

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Another option is to find a greengrocer, restaurant or pub. They often have wooden trays that they get fruit and veg in. Sometimes they are recycled but often they aren't. They are quite attractive as they are but could also be painted or covered.

How about adding in some herb plants that you've grown from seed? Just enough time to get some chives, parsley and mint going if you start now.

Zoe

lydneyian

Thanks - all good stuff so far

I thought baskets cos my partner found a cloth one online - but you have to buy the book for the pattern - not only that - I wasnt sure how big to go - I love the idea of painting a greengrocer wooden tray - if I get enough ideas it could be the perfect answer - thinking about it - I havnt been pick your own strawberrying since I was a kid - but the baskets they used to do could be perfect - cardboard - but look the part - I wonder if they still do them? Im not sure how I could present a shopping bag - unless it was all folded around like a nest - good idea as well

I had thought of chutneys Mel - even though ive never made it and dont know how at this point - i hadnt thought of pickles - also have no ideas or experience :-)

Bread is a great idea - but i think you may have come up with the problem kit e kate

The herb plants are an excellent Idea Zoe

Anymore???

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Had a quick look and found these:

http://www.jonesandcane.co.uk/food-and- ... asket.html

They seem to be quite big - hold 6lbs mushrooms and the pack has 25 baskets.

lydneyian

Brilliant link Ruth - thanks - thats my back up plan sorted :-)

red

fudge
other liqueurs - strawberry liqueur and limoncello are always popular with my friends
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Great idea!

What about soft drinks such as lemonade and ginger beer for children or non-drinkers?

Decorated Christmas biscuits?

:flower:

lydneyian

Fudge is a definate - great idea Red

I hadnt thought of the soft drinks side of things - guess that says something about my personality :-) I had ought to - need to find a soft drinks recipe thanks misty

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

I made hampers for my family last year...gingerbread is good because it keeps quite well so you can make it a week or so in advance.

I ended up buying nice baskets for my parents and in-laws' hampers last year, I just used cardboard boxes covered in wrapping paper for everyone else.

lydneyian

Great Sarah

what else did you put in yours???

Ian

happyhippy

Re the baskets?I'd try your local car boot/op shop.I've usually seen loads at either at a cheap price too!What to put in them?How about some home made bath salts,or lavendar bags?Re the soft drinks,how about some home made squash?You could collect some nice bottles with the screw type lids(I have seen cheap bottles with those flip type lids???in home stores for around £1.50 each approx)and print off some original labels from your computer.How about some vouchers?Not the store type but ones offering jobs you'd do for the person,ei:Babysitting for a few hours,gardening,dog walking???How about a booze type one?Say a bottle of wine with two glasses,you can pick some very pretty glasses up cheap enough from most op shops.