Store Winter vegetables in the... fridge!

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
WiSHWiSH
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Store Winter vegetables in the... fridge!

I don't have a yard or a basement, but I'd like to buy winter vegetables in bulk, and store them over the Winter. The farmer's market only sells during the Summer. Once they close, I'll be limited to tasteless grocery store produce until next May!

During the growing season I buy vegetables every week, so 95% of my fridge is empty. It's very wasteful! Really, right now the fridge has some butter, bacon fat, a few vegetables, and not much else.

I've been learning about winter storage (root cellars, and other methods), but since I don't have a yard or a basement... yet I have an empty fridge. Couldn't I just store vegetables there all winter? Has anyone tried it?

Oh, by the way... I'm new here, I've been a long time lurker... what a great community! :flower:
Mimi

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: Store Winter vegetables in the... fridge!

Hello and Welcome :wave:

I reckon the fridge would do a good job - cold and dry and you can keep a check on it
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

As long as it IS really dry. Polythene bags, for instance, are an absolute no-no.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

gregorach

For a lot of winter veg, you don't want it too dry... But then fridges never are. But getting the right level of humidity is important for good storage.
Cheers

Dunc

Ellendra

Some things don't need much for storage. Winter squash, for example, can keep for months as long as the skin is nice and hard. I had a pumpkin last year that just sat on the kitchen counter from October till February, and was still good. I know someone who had a glut of hubbard squash from her garden, and out of desperation stored some of them under the beds. Well, a few got pushed back and forgotten, only to be found over a year later! They were still good.

WiSHWiSH
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

No plastic bags in the fridge, uh? Interesting, I didn't know about that.
I'm feeling a little uneasy about storing things in the fridge over winter, not knowing exactly how cold and moist it is. But I feel bad that the fridge is empty all the time.
I'm just concerned about spending all this money to stock up, and then losing the vegetables. But it would be good practice for when I have my own garden, wouldn't it :icon_smile:

And I just thought of something. I have a-north facing, small mudroom. It further sheltered by a porch, so it's nice and cold back there. I bet this would work too!

I put a glass of water there, it's silly, but maybe it helps me figure out how cold it gets there.

Thankfully I know squashes and pumpkins are super easy to store. Mine have done OK so far.

I'm hesitating so much, I feel like giving up. Oh, how embarrassing!