lay a path?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
redglass
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

lay a path?

This isn't just any path, this is a nightmare path: on my small allotment, with a metal dividing fence on one side and my beds on the other. The path is uneven clay ground, very compacted,with the odd ant hill. So far I've focussed my efforts on the beds and just pootled around with the path, trimming the grass and nettles and avoiding the odd bit of mud (my next big birthday will be my 60th and I do it all myself so there's not as much muscle power as there once was!). Now someone's taken over the neighbouring plot, which is reached by using that same path, and they are working their bit while the soil is wet :dontknow: and also dragging a rotovator along the bit of the path that is alongside my beds, though I notice they've avoided their own stretch. :angryfire: I haven't met them yet and they may be very nice people but they've b*ggered what there was of the shared path, which is now a swamp. I've come to the conclusion that I have to either build a proper path (since this is something that could go on for ages) or give up allotmenteering and (if possible) move to a house with a decent sized garden. That way I would also cut out the neighbouring guy who sprays everything with poison, the tool thieves and various other irritations. But... I'm not quite ready to give up yet, so I'm thinking about the path. Is there a reasonably easy/inexpensive way of laying a more stable surface? I have some leftover slate chippings (but they'd probably end up in the plot, wouldn't they? What about a big roll of synthetic flooring - I wouldn't use it in a plot, because it's inorganic, but could it be the basis for a path, with boards each side and something on top?

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: lay a path?

I've got some of this:http://www.primrose.co.uk/instant-garde ... fAodBQllKg

Which does the job nicely. The beauty of it is that you can either peg it down in place or take it up and put it away when you've finished with it. It's cheaper than gravel/hardcore too.

Maybe your neighbour could share the cost when you catch up with them!
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

If it doesnt have to be pretty you might just go to your local carpet shop and ask for the old stuff they rip out of peoples' houses before they put down new. Keeps the weeds down, holds the ground together and can look pretty [ok I lay mine face down] oh and it is free !
Sarah :flower:

redglass

Davie Crockett wrote:I've got some of this:http://www.primrose.co.uk/instant-garde ... fAodBQllKg

Which does the job nicely. The beauty of it is that you can either peg it down in place or take it up and put it away when you've finished with it. It's cheaper than gravel/hardcore too.

Maybe your neighbour could share the cost when you catch up with them!
Now that looks like a possibility! :iconbiggrin: It says it can be used over uneven ground, but I notice the photos are taken on a nice level lawn, not vicious clumps of couch, anthills, etc. Have you actually tried it on uneven terrain?

redglass

sarahkeast wrote:If it doesnt have to be pretty you might just go to your local carpet shop and ask for the old stuff they rip out of peoples' houses before they put down new. Keeps the weeds down, holds the ground together and can look pretty [ok I lay mine face down] oh and it is free !
Also a possibility, thank you! I'm beginning to realise that no matter what i use, I'll have to lay some sort of path border to contain things. I already have some stuff that's looking for a home and the allotment path might be it. What I don't want to do is start off on a lame scheme that wouldn't be dreamed of by anyone with any experience, and just end up hot and cross :banghead: so it's good to hear what's worked for other people.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Redglass said:
Have you actually tried it on uneven terrain?
I've used it over freshly rotovated soil between beds, (I usually rake it level before laying it) but because it is slatted it follows the terrain fairly closely with no problems.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Maybe your neighbour could be persuaded to rotovate the path first seeing as how he's the one who's made a mess of it.

Zoe

redglass

Thomzo wrote:Maybe your neighbour could be persuaded to rotovate the path first seeing as how he's the one who's made a mess of it.

Zoe
That would be nice! I'll have to meet them and try to establish diplomatic relations first, but it would be to their advantage too.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Sounds like you're going to have to lie in wait behind the brassicas for him.

redglass

Might get a bit chilly - you can wait a long time, sometimes, before you meet the people on the next plot. Thanks everyone for your useful suggestions. I'm thinking it over now, weighing up the pros and cons of keeping on the lotty vs leaving it and putting a big push into getting a house with a decent garden. The allotment hasn't been much of a money saver for me TBH, it might even have cost me more than just buying organic veg, although I've enjoyed it and learnt a lot. Time for some hard thinking....