...stop mice from eating my sweet corn??

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

...stop mice from eating my sweet corn??

I've never had this issue before, but we have definitely got mice in the garden somewhere as they already went through my seed box this winter.

I've since moved the greenhouse, and thought that the relocation to a slightly more exposed spot would've put them off, but no. The sweet corn had obviously just got nice and plump, I went in there to do the morning water before work today and some little **** has carefully dug a very neat hole in each module and relieved me of its contents.

it's only the sweet corn, everything else is completely untouched.

I have humane traps so I'll trap them and relocate them in the middle of nowhere if I can. As other than seed pinching they are not causing any other damage. I'm sure they're coming in from the pub next door as we have a perennial problem with them dumping stuff in an area adjacent to our back boundary.

Although judging from Rosendulas experiences of carnivorous chooks, I wont worry to much as it sounds like they might make a welcome treat for our chickens which should be arriving soon. :?

Will ensuring all little gaps are blocked put them off? As I have 'air space' round the bottom.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Lorna x

Ps. Sorry for slightly rambling post - I think I've discovered that its almost impossible for me to be succinct first thing in the morning! :sleepy1:

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: ...stop mice from eating my sweet corn??

First of all if you can cadge a catch and release trap (they aren't cheap) it might be worth seeing what sort of rodent this is,might be something rare.
We used to put holly leaves all around seed trays etc.to repel mice.

The Riff-Raff Element

Invest in a couple of sheets of wire mesh. It need to be quite fine - 5mm should do. Rest this on the pots. The sweetcorn will have no problem pushing through the holes (though you need to be a little careful lifting the mash clear) and the seed should be more-or-less exhausted once the seeding is 5cm high.

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I always sow sweetcorn in the tunnel, then cover the tray with cling film until the seeds have germinated, I do this with bean and pea seeds too, seems to stop them going missing.

grahamhobbs

My experience is that the corn needs to get to about 6" tall, then the mice don't bother with them. Up until then they will eat the seeds. You need to grow them in pots, roottrainers or the like and make sure they are securely covered. Although unfortunately the standard covers on roottrainers don't allow the corn to grow tall enough. A wooden or polystyrene box with a glass sheet on top and the pots inside is a good solution, useful as a mini-cold frame for other things as well.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks guys,

I'll try covering the next lot we sow. I don't really want to have them indoors as its hard to keep them out of harms way with two young uns running around the house.

Lorna x