How do i make my own energy drink?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

How do i make my own energy drink?

I want to include yerba mate in it but what else should i add? Thanks.

boboff

Re: How do i make my own energy drink?

Coffee?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Most energy drinks are Isotonic, (in laymans terms they are the same tension as blood) for example water is hypotonic (Thinner), Treacle is hypertonic (Thicker). I'm sure MKG can give a specific answer in respect of the chemistry.

Fluids are absorbed better if they are Isotonic because it's easier for the body to equalise fluids across cell walls if they are dehydrated.
The W.H.O. recipe for rehydration solution is:

30 ml (6 level tsp) of sugar
2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) of salt, dissolved into
1 litre (4.25 Cups) of clean water

Add a little squash for flavouring and bobs your uncle.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have just started reading the Scott Jurek book, think it is called Eat and Run. Very good so far and lots of recipes, worth a look in that and will share any if I remember

Guess it depends what you want it for, think about requirements, caloric, electrolyte, short/longer term carbs, how easily you digest stuff, how long you need it to work for, what you can stomach and what you fancy. I am a sometime long distance runner/mtbiker and so have dealt with a lot of these issues, manufactured products are good, but I always come back to real food.

Good luck.
Sarah :flower:

southeast-isher

I do drink coffee... which i enjoy. But there are other things in some energy drinks that do different things eg. yerba mate can act like coffee without the jitters and restlessness so you don't feel 'wired'. And i find it regulates my sleep.

I drink yerba mate tea because i like the subtle effects i don't however enjoy the taste too much and prefer to wait for the drink to cool down then mix it with fruit juice... it is good but tastes not so great... it could do with some other things added i think.

My espresso machine is up the spout and i'm waiting on a new part so i decided to buy an energy drink in the larg cans that was juice based... it had been a while since i'd had these drinks and i enjoyed it i must admit. It had things like guarana, taurine, caffeine, and ginseng in it.

When going back the next day to the supermarket get another i saw a yerba mate based energy drink with gotu kola and other (probably) more healthier than the usual energy drink suspects. But it was expensive... and seeing as yerba mate tea costs about 20p i just wondered if anyone was successful in coming up with a good recipe for something similar.
Last edited by southeast-isher on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southeast-isher

Davie Crockett wrote:Most energy drinks are Isotonic, (in laymans terms they are the same tension as blood) for example water is hypotonic (Thinner), Treacle is hypertonic (Thicker). I'm sure MKG can give a specific answer in respect of the chemistry.

Fluids are absorbed better if they are Isotonic because it's easier for the body to equalise fluids across cell walls if they are dehydrated.
That's interesting. Thank you Davie.

contadina

I've a Argentinian neighbour who always starts the day with the sun salutation and a tankard of yerba mate. Having enjoyed many brews round his, I'd say that you need to add honey to sweeten the drink and make sure that you drink it through a bombilla (metal straw with a filter, which doesn't move off the base of cup).

southeast-isher

Yes... yerba mate in a gourd with a bombilla is the way to drink it properly. I have just been using the tea bags in a cup. Adding honey would be a good idea.