... use spirit vinegar...

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

... use spirit vinegar...

... that's previously been used for eggs?

Last night in the pub I was struck by the quantity of clear vinegar in a jar containing, by that time, one pickled egg. I may have made the observation out loud, and am now the proud owner of a large jar and about a litre of very eggy vinegar :mrgreen:

Any bright ideas about what I can do with it?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: ... use spirit vinegar...

Put more eggs in it! sorry couldn't resist
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

becks77 wrote:Put more eggs in it! sorry couldn't resist
Yes, that's what I do (only I use spiced malt vinegar) and the lot that's now maturing is in vinegar that has been used and reused at least a dozen times.
The same goes for pickled onions.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

becks77 wrote:Put more eggs in it! sorry couldn't resist
And you weren't the first to suggest that!
Odsox wrote:Yes, that's what I do (only I use spiced malt vinegar) and the lot that's now maturing is in vinegar that has been used and reused at least a dozen times.
The same goes for pickled onions.
I take it that's onions in onion vinegar, not onions in eggy vinegar? I'm not sure about pickled eggs, but I do like pickled onions.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zech wrote:I take it that's onions in onion vinegar, not onions in eggy vinegar? I'm not sure about pickled eggs, but I do like pickled onions.
Yes that's right, although with spiced vinegar I don't think it would make much difference ... I don't think you could taste any egginess in my 10 year old vinegar.
You could always make your spirit vinegar into spiced vinegar and then pickle whatever you fancy.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.