Carbonmonoxide!!

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Post Reply
User avatar
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Orkney, Scotland.

Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273151Post spider8
Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 pm

I didn't know which section to put this...........we have an old multi fuel stove in the livingroom and it's been fine for ages then we were woken up in the night when the carbonmonoxide alarm went off. We had a look and thought it might be the door rope that needed replacing, this we did but the meter still goes off. Can anybody give us some idea about what might be causing this please?
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am
Location: West Norfolk, UK

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273152Post GeorgeSalt
Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Could be door seal, or any of the seals on the flue, or movement of the flue. Or it could be a door hinge and the door misaligning. Or a more general flue problem and flue gases escaping via the air inlets.

Or it could be the CO alarm crying out for a new battery (refer to manual).

But I'd call the sweep in the morning.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

User avatar
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Orkney, Scotland.

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273153Post spider8
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks for that Georgesalt. We had the chimney swept 4 months ago and we've replaced the door rope so will look at the hinges :)
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

User avatar
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 pm
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66
Location: East Coast of Canada

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273155Post KathyLauren
Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:54 am

Time for a new stove. Carbon mooxide is not something to mess with. Its effects are cumulative. Just because you survived two or three nights exposure to it, it doesn't mean that you will survive five or six nights.

User avatar
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am
Location: Gunnislake,Cornwall

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273160Post boboff
Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 am

Does it give you a peak reading?

4 months if burning all day every day and over night is time for a sweep too, I suspect this will sort it out.

I just bought a Co meter with digital peak reading from Amazon for £16 including postage which I thought was reasonable.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am
Location: West Norfolk, UK

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273167Post GeorgeSalt
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 pm

GeorgeSalt wrote:But I'd call the sweep in the morning.
I'm not recommending the sweep so you can get your flue swept, I'm recommending him as a professional sweep should be able to assess the stove and flue and determine what the problem is.

One very quick check you can make is the draught, you've not recently improved insulation, installed draught-proofing or new windows? If there's an air vent in the wall, it's not blocked is it?

Buying a new stove would be a hasty response, and needless (possibly even counterproductive) if it's a problem with the flue itself or a consumable/alignment issue.

I hope I can assume that you've not been firing the stove since the alarm went off the second time?
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

User avatar
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Orkney, Scotland.

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273197Post spider8
Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Certainly not GeorgeSalt! We are getting a sweep in to check over the stove as when swept 4 months ago they checked it then. Air vents are clear and we haven't altered anything so still a puzzle for now. Thanks folks.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

User avatar
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Orkney, Scotland.

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273324Post spider8
Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm

We changed the door rope and put in 10 mm rope which seems to have solved the problem. The meter is now showing 0 all the time and we're happy. Thanks guys.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

User avatar
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: North West Ireland

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273328Post diggernotdreamer
Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

This really does highlight how important it is to have a carbon monoxide detector, how many of us with stoves would think about the door rope allowing poisonous gas into the home, I have a CM alarm and I will now also make sure the stove is always maintained properly, thanks for highlighting this Spider

User avatar
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Orkney, Scotland.

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273339Post spider8
Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:59 am

Must admit DND that it really scared us as we were watching the detector going up and up before our eyes. Something as simple as the door rope too. Thanks to all for your help and advice :)
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

User avatar
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 pm
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66
Location: East Coast of Canada

Re: Carbonmonoxide!!

Post: # 273347Post KathyLauren
Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Glad you found the problem and got it fixed!

Post Reply