Wassail?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Chaldeonmenthe
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Wassail?

As in singing to ones crops, trees and animals in order to promote a bountiful harvest? It is the winter solstice coming up here very soon, and the kids want to wassail our animals, gardens and crops. But my knowledge ends at what they tell me on Victorian Farmer. Anyone have more knowledge? What to drink :drunken: ? What to say/sing? Kid friendly ideas?

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Wassail?

Hmm dunno, wish I knew more, it's a lovely tradition. I know it involves warm cider, toast and freezing your nuts off (in the middle of winter over here).

If anyone replying also could recommend a good 'Paganism for Idiots' book, I would be really interested!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

doofaloofa

Firework by Katy Perry
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems strange answering this one in June! :wave:

Yep - a mulled cider punch is apparently traditional, as the idea was to wake up the apple trees so they could get on with their work. I should imagine that you want to wake everything up, so anything mulled will be suitable (a million or so recipes on the net). And if you're wondering, the Old English thing you have to shout is Waes Hael, which is pronounced (strangely enough) ... "wassail" and means, roughly, "Good Health".

Now the important bit - if you're mulling anything, don't go past the finger-hot stage (shortly after vapour becomes visible) as what is actually vapourising is all your hard-won alcohol. Nothing worse than wassailing without the necessary ingredient.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Chaldeonmenthe

Thanks MKG - yep, you can betcha I won't be dragging my ass around at sparrow fart o'clock without some decent alcohol in my hand. But having never mulled anything before, I appreciate the tip. As will my liver.

It is kind of de-motivating being on the other side of the world and hearing about everyone doing their Spring/Summer planting while I just have peas, beetroot and garlic hopping along in the garden due to Winter. We need to Wassail to keep our spirits up. But, revenge will be mine come September to December (says she with a semi-evil chuckle).

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

But seriously (as if!) it depends on the age of the kids. None of them will suffer from a glass - one glass - of mulled cider (but they might not actually like it) and hot Ribena or similar is actually palatable with cinnamon and cloves. Even cheap Oz plonk is palatable with cinnamon and cloves (and allspice, peppercorns and even a bit of chilli) - I know, it's hard to believe, but it's true.

Whatever you do, have a great midwinter.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)