How to post a picture

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to post a picture

Posting your own photos can be a bit difficult, but it is dead easy when you know how.
This is a step by step guide on how to do it the easy way.

First you need a graphics program on your computer, if you don't have one then I would suggest downloading Irfanview as it's very easy to use, doesn't come with any extra "baggage" and is free. http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Run Irfanview (or your own graphics program) and load the photo you want to post.
Your photo will almost certainly be too large for posting, so it needs to be reduced.
In Irfanview select "Image" on the top bar and then "Resize/Resample" on the drop down menu and then choose "640 x 480".
Then "Save as" on "File" back on the top bar and save as "name.JPG"

In the post that you are writing, just below the the box there is a tab called "Upload attachment", click on that and find you newly reduced photo and select it, and then click "Add the file".
Then place your cursor where you want the picture to appear on you posting and click "Place inline"
That's it, you can upload more if you want to.

Sounds complicated but is very easy once you have done it the first time.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: How to post a picture

When I tried to post a pic from my photobucket (resized accoringly) I got this message

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Any clue as to why?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Probably, I think, because the file needs to be on your computer. Obviously Photobucket doesn't pass the file size and the picture dimensions, but a picture on your hard drive has all the information readily available.
Tony

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I use Paint to do my resizing. It's very easy. Right click on your image an it should give you the option "open image in..." Hover over that and Paint will be one of the options (for Windows users anyway).

The resize button gives the option of using size or pixels. Click on pixels and choose the side which will fit the dimensions (the other side automatically changes) e.g. my pictures wouldn't fit if I put 640 in height (still too wide) but choosing 400 in width does. Then just save as jpeg, or whatever other format is suitable.

Sorry, one day I'll develop the skill to describe simple things simply. :roll:

Doofa - that was the message I kept getting when I tried using Flickr. You don't seem to have access to the size of your own photos any more. But this is much simpler anyway.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

Test attempt
Test attempt
44633526_10218125625269129_8639239150110769152_n.jpg (161.79 KiB) Viewed 20491 times
Not sure how to do this so thought I would give it a try here first.
If I've just posted a random line of text above, than it is supposed to be my side bed that's just been cleared with a new fence lol
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very nice. :thumbright:
Maggie

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

If I was a Grinch I would say that I can see at least 5 invasive species that would warrant a visit from the authorities; but since I'm not I won't say anything. (one mans meat....)
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would they be considered invasive over here, Weedo?
Maggie

PurpleMcGowan

A flower in the wrong place...... Lol
I'm looking forward to strawberrys next year now I've cleared the violets & mares tails. The Rowan may be going, its still under debate.

Weedo

Probably not GA although it is as situational; I have no doubt you would object to privet popping up in your potatoe patch.
For us, there are two main focuses on the invasives front - protection of agriculture and horticulture and protection of our natural environment and these can sometimes clash. For example Kikuyu grass is a significant weed in bushland but is the mainstay of our East coast dairy industry; sub-clover an essential component of mosty of our grazing pastures but can destroy alpine bogs by changing the soil chemistry.

In the picture I picked up (if my guess is correct, hard to I.D. properly from a pic) Blackberry(?) a widespread weed of the environment and agriculture, Box elder & privet weeds of cooler forests, a fern (Blechnum spp?) weedy in riparian zones. The rowan, unlike most of its relatives (hawthorns etc. ) has not shown any weedyness at all but Equisetums (horsetails) are totally prohibited across Oz.

On the other side, there are any number of Australian native species that are very invasive when moved to the wrong areas.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Horsetail is an absolute nightmare - but a great herb, source of silica, for various ailments etc. I can't imagine where its correct environment would be for growing. It just dominates everywhere it gets a hold.

Over here privet lines many a garden and street, neatly (or often not so) trimmed hedging. I confess to disliking it intensely, not least because nothing seems to grow near it. I'm guessing it was the fashion in the 50s and 60s because around then you rarely seemed to see fences or any other type of hedging. I remember Dad planting a Rose hedge in our very tiny front garden and being the tallk of the village. :lol:

As for the fruiting stuff, they can be a pest but I have such happy memories of blackberry picking etc I wouldn't want them to go.
Maggie

PurpleMcGowan

Ah yes the blackberry, is mine, and the fern will be relocated.
But the private is my neighbours, and not a friend of mine, constantly pricking myself on it
The kids love collecting blackberries each year.
We live on a natural spring, so the marestails just spring up everywhere, forever pulling them out.

Good spot with the fern & blackberry though Weedo, its my garden and I could barely pick them out :lol:

Weedo

Horsetails (around 12 spp) are native to the cooler Northern climes and inhabit moist / riparian areas. Yes they are very prolific and extremely hard to eradicate once established - hence our Nationwide "nil-tolerance" approach. I your case PMcG they are in their natural environment.

Don't worry GA, your blackberries are probably native although it is possible some species have been imported (after all, Great Britain is mainly a fully modified environment). Here it is generally accepted that they (16spp) are now part of the landscape and will never be eliminated; control is usually for asset protection only.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As an aside to this thread of eradicating noxious weeds, one thought occurred to me .. is it ethical?
Horsetails are known to have been growing in the carboniferous period due to fossil traces in coal.
Human have been around for about 200,000 years and as horsetails have for at least 270 million years it seems to me that horsetails have more right to live in the British Isles than we do.
But then I don't have horsetails growing on my land. :lol:
Tony

PurpleMcGowan

I think I take the view of, yes they have a right, but preferably not in my garden & patio, mostly because they are so prolific and they itch :-(