make rose water that doesn't smell like compost?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

make rose water that doesn't smell like compost?

OK, first attempt at making rose water today and it smelt minging so I ended up throwing it away. Any ideas where I went wrong? Did I boil it for too long? The rose petals were fresh and smelt lovely before I ruined them. Admittedly my cobbled-together still was a bit rubbish so I might need to improve there.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: make rose water that doesn't smell like compost?

I'm guessing, but did you pick your rose petals in the afternoon?

Andy is forever lecturing people about making elderflower champagne, and how the elderflowers must be picked in the early morning, just after any dew has dried. Any longer and elderflowers start to develop the famous cat's pee flavour. Maybe - just maybe - the same rule applies to roses.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I read somewhere that you keep it just below boiling, simmering it gently until the petals lose their colour. I wonder if the higher temperature is part of the problem too.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Would it make a difference if the petals were infused as for tea rather than simmered? Leave them in the water until cold then really squeeze the water out. If the water needs boiling for sterilisation, boil it then, without the petals in as there may be something in the material of the petal that spoils it.