Water Tanks

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
bobby70
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Robyn Wright

Water Tanks

I have just purchased 10 acres, which has not been lived on for 2 years. There are three 10,000 litre water tanks, which are full, but obviously the water has been sitting in them for quite some time. Should I just empty the water into the dam, get it tested, or use it. The water is for drinking, showers, washing, gardening - everything. Thank you

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Water Tanks

I wouldn't empty them out. You can buy some sort of "sweetener" that freshens up water butts and suchlike (I wouldn't know of a brand down your way) and it would then be fine for gardening. I'm not sure about the personal use although I'm sure you could buy sterilising tablets (or boil it) for drinking quantities.

Wouldn't 30,000l take an awfully long time to refill? Or are you in a particularly rainy part of Australia? (Assuming there is one - my knowledge of geography is notoriously poor :sad:).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Water Tanks

I would probably go for getting it tested - provided that's not too expensive. Should definitely be ok for watering, though - the soil acts as a kind of filter.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)