Peacocks as pets?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
bobby70
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Robyn Wright

Peacocks as pets?

Does anyone have any experience having peacocks on their land? No, I don't want to eat them. Just wondering about the pro's and con's of having as "pets" :icon_smile:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Peacocks as pets?

Can't help I'm afraid, but I would never keep them as I detest the noise they make.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Someone was asking me this the other day and I can only tell what little I know. Someone must have dumped 5 of them one day and they started moving up and down a very long road, I had a pet food shop at the time and people started coming in to get food for the peacocks. They sat on the roofs of houses and when they fancied it came down to eat some of the lovely food people had bought them, eat all the plants in the garden, the males do the shrieking call, and then they would take off to the next house and sit on the roof there for a few days. The only places you really see them are stately homes where they can wander the premises, so if you have plenty of land for them they are quite interesting to have around, but if you have neighbours and gardens, probably not such a great idea

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Lived on a farm when I was small that had them. There was plenty of space for them, very attractive but my they were very loud and then some in a punk fashion. There was no farm garden there so no damage done and they did make an excellent early warning system with regards to visitors of all sorts. The adult population of the farm had various expletives to describe them so I don't think they were universally loved ...

bobby70
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Robyn Wright

Okay, sounds like I might give them a miss then :)