Neighbours dogs

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Neighbours dogs

Help! Sorry, I'm going to go on a bit :(

Our next door neighbour have four border collies. They do not walk them enough (ten minutes in the morning and maybe twenty minutes about nine o'clock at night)! They never get to go off the lead or play with a ball.

When our neighbours are out at work the dogs are going bonkers, barking and fighting as they are bored out of their brains.

They used to dig the garden up so neighbours fenced it off and now they have run of the house and tiny patio where they do their business during the day. It smells to me and their noses are so much more sensitive.

When we first moved in, neighbours said they were scared stiff of the dogs getting taken off them as they'd had complaints to the council about them barking. We've said they need walking more and they're bored and even offered to walk them ourselves.

Things have got worse if anything. This has been going on for two years now, we stopped saying anything last year as the husband had a heart attack and we didn't want to add more stress.

I shush the dogs over the fence, as it calms them down, but feel traitorous every time as they're only begging to be taken a walk.

Having had a Border Collie ourselves, this is breaking our hearts. What do we do now. :dontknow: :(

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Neighbours dogs

Jill - this is just my opinion right?

In your position, I'd report them. Now, the RSPCA will visit & the dogs won't look neglected or anything, but the visit might well make the owners buck their ideas up a bit. We lived in a huge house with a small yard & 3 dogs - but I was home all the time with a beach a few minutes away. The house next door was split into 3 flats (1 on each floor) some new people moved into the middle flat & they had 2 dogs - within a week, the net curtains were shredded in the lounge & the dogs were constantly barking & at the windows.
We reported this, as they both had 9 - 5 jobs & really, you can't have dogs & live like that, it's not fair.

The RSPCA came & although the dogs were well fed, they could see that it wasn't ideal. The owners shipped the dogs off to her mum's place & after a few months they moved to a house with a small garden - a few weeks after that, one dog was killed on the road & the other was finally taken away after they were left in the garden, but would jump the fences :roll:
Some folks just aren't meant to have dogs, I guess.

The neighbours won't know it's you who has made the report, especially if you explain when you call, but at least you've done SOMETHING... you never know, the RSPCA might just make them see the stupidity of keeping 4 dogs of this nature in a house while they are out at work.
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

I agree with Julie.... it's a horrid thing to have to do as an animal lover, but your neighbours aren't thinking of the dogs' welfare.

Either ring your local council dog warden, or the RSPCA. You can be completely anonymous if you'd like.

Our next door neighbours now have 6 dogs of varying breeds. They aren't allowed in the house and spend 22 hours a day in a kennel and run at the bottom of the garden, where they bark and howl constantly. The small amount of time they ARE allowed out, they spend either dashing up and down our fence line, or escaping onto the road through the front gates that the neighbours don't shut.

They have no collars and are NEVER taken for a walk ever.

Over Easter, they 'lost' one of their little JRT's, as they didn't realise she was outside when all the others had been locked away. She was found over 4 miles from home, she'd been forgotten that long!!

I'm in constant talks with the local dog warden, as I just don't feel, however nice their kennel block is, that they are being cared for properly... the warden is as good as she can be really, and makes lots of visits etc to try and get next door to see sense.
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I leave my 2 dogs during the day, have done since they were wee pups. They are very well behaved and get a long walk everyday. I do just want to say one thing though and that is in my opinion, Dogs off leads is an irrisponsible thing to do. I know some breeds need more excersise than others but that should be taken in to account when getting the dog. Both of my dogs have been attacked by other dogs that were not on leads. Mine are ALWAYS on leads as they look aggresive unfortunatly.

Owners need to find an appropriate way of excersising their pets without putting others at risk.

Again remember its just my 2p worth.

Anyway, in my opinion talk to the owners first then take it to the next level. Pets need looking after in an appropraite way

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank you. We were going to phone the RSPCA last year after talking to the neighbours hadn't made any difference, then the bloke had a heart attack and since then we've just lost our momentum. Also this is the most unfriendly place I've ever lived which hasn't helped. Sort of well to do and icy.

Julie, what a shame about your old neighbours dogs. Thanks for the advice.

Masco&Bongo that sounds horrendous, it's such a shame when people don't look after their animals properly :(

Nick69 I get your point about not thinking dogs should be off the lead and I wouldn't be bothered about them leaving the dogs if they were happy. It's not like they get home and take them for a walk. I suspect the reason they only ever walk them in the dark is because they can't control them as they're so full of pent up energy and they're avoiding meeting people and other dogs. We have offered to help but I can't see that ever happening.

Thanks everyone for the moral support, just feeling at a low ebb and everything seems a bit insurmountable today :hugish: