Dachshund help please

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

Dachshund help please

I have a dachshund that refuses to be house broken. I have had others and knew when I got her that dashies can be very stubborn about this sort of thing, but they all sorted it out when they matured and decided pooping in the den wasn't what grownup dogs do. In fact, an elderly dashie did the housebreaking of one new puppy. He bit her nose everytime she did her business in the house!

But this girl is a year old and shows no inclination toward the great outdoors. :banghead:

Any ideas? Other than barbeque, as my husband has threatened.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Dachshund help please

The only advice I can give you is kindergarten stuff really - to physically take the dog out yourself after a meal - and watch the dog for the daily routine & anticipate the 'poo-time' so take the dog out in advamce.
Praise the dog when it does go outside, but don't go overboard punishing or shouting when it makes a mistake.

I have an 8yr old Basset, & he still has an accident here & there. I ignore it totally & just clean up, making him unhappy by shouting at him isn't going to make any difference & it's not his fault if I am asleep in bed when he wants to 'go'!

Not much help there, I'm afraid - but :hugish: & Good luck!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

Re: Dachshund help please

I expect the occasional accident. I even understand when they just don't want to go out in the rain or snow. But this dog makes no effort. We have tried scheduled outings, leaving her in a portable kennel, and putting all her poop where we want her to poop. Nothing works.

She is otherwise a great little dog, friendly, knows several commands, and is very obedient in every other way. I would let her chew the occassional sock if I could just walk through the house in sock feet!
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux