Cat's Problem

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
mycoolgirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: learn
longitude: intrest

Cat's Problem

I am bit worried. Because, there's been a few Hissing and growling between my First Cat and the Stray Female I took in Last night but almost like 10 minutes ago they started Fighting should I be worried that they won't get along but none of them has a Wound?

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Cat's Problem

Hi
I've found that introducing new cats is always a problem. It almost never goes smoothly. Expect the existing cat to want to defend it's territory against this new imposter. They'll probably settle down eventually. You may find that they still fight constantly but that it's just play fighting and that both of them instigate it.

If you do see blood then best to separate them until the wound heals. Lock the new one in a separate room (with litter trays etc) for a day or so. It may seem cruel but it will establish that room as 'her' territory. Then let the old one into that room so that he/she is the imposter. That should help to establish some equilibrium.

It may also help to feed them separately and give them separate toys to play with.

Finally, and I hate to doubt you, but are you absolutely sure the new cat is a genuine stray? I hear so many stories where families are distraught that their cat has disappeared only to find that it's turned up a few doors away. Do ask around as some poor child might be grieving for their missing pet.

Zoe

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi mycoolgirl :wave: I just wanted to welcome you to Ish and invite you to introduce yourself in the say hello section and have a read of our rules - which specifically prohibit advertising until you've been active for a while.

In the meantime I've removed your signature. Looking forward to you joining in around the boards :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

elvgrengirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I would suggest to keep the two of them seperated until you have the stray checked out for a few simple reasons. The stray is likely to have worms, maybe fleas, earmites etc. that you cat coulkd catch. Bring her to the Vet and get her checked out. Also get her tested for FIP and FeLV and FIV(Cat Aids) all of which are diseases that could be passed on to your cat. Only then I would let them together.

Obviously your cat doesn't understand why the other one is there now, so they'll be fighting. Because to your cat the stray is a stranger, somebody that steals her favourite spots to snooze and somebody that gets all the cuddles now.

Let your cat know that she is your no.1, give her lots of attention. also rub both cats down with a tshirt you have worn. swap the rooms they stay in and pretend you're not watching them.

They will naturally hiss at each other and fight, but with a bit of luck and patience they might become friends. In saying that chances are they won't.

How old is your cat and has she always been on her own? If you got her as a kitten, how old was she when she was taken away from her mother and siblings? Does she know other cats? Is she an indoors only cat or can she go outside?