New cat questions

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

New cat questions

My rescue cat arrived yesterday, he is my first ever cat and he is 9 years old. He was quite scared yesterday and hid in the wardrobe all day. He ventured out when I was going to bed and let me stroke him a bit and he's eating OK. I just have a couple of questions:
I've noticed he keeps rubbing the sides of his face on everything - is this just him marking his scent on things? I know he's had a couple of teeth removed so I wanted to check he's not in pain.
Today he's been very friendly and followed me around all day. He's even been asleep on my lap. He just sat on a blanket on the sofa and began acting strangely. I thought he was doing his business on the blanket but he's house trained and the blanket was not wet afterwards. Again, was he scenting it? He is neutered.

If anyone can explain what he's doing I'd appreciate it, he seems confident and not distressed.

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: New cat questions

Aww, he sounds lovely Shirley. What is his name?

It is really nice that you have taken on an older cat, I hate that they get left behind because the kittens are fluffy and prettier.

I am no expert, but our cats have always rubbed everything with their cheeks - I would think he is just marking things. If he has tooth ache you should be able to tell by the way he eats?

Also, check he doesn't have worms (would be suprised if he came from a home) - but when they rub their bottoms on things, sometimes it is because they have an itchy sphincter :shock: due to the worms and scratching it feels good! :pukeright:

Any chance of a picture? Enjoy being with your new pal - I loooove cats, they are just the best pets. And I like having an excuse to use this smiley! :cat:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

JulieSherris

Shirley, cats have glands just at the sides of their mouths, so he's just putting his mark on your things & putting his scent around to make them his own - what's yours is his... what's his is his too!! :lol:

Now, the strange behaviour on the sofa.... was he padding? Were his paws flexing back & forth? Cats do that, especially when they are happy. It comes from when they are kittens at the nipple - their paws push either side of the nipple to help the milk flow. Older cats do it too as a sign of comfort - I stroke our boy on the head when he does it because that mimics the mum cat cleaning them.

Cats can be quite complex little creatures, full of personality... although I have to say that our cat Mr Jinks, comes indoors in the morning, heads to his food bowl, then onto our bed - and stays there until about 7pm!! Companion? Yeah right!! :lol:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

Yes that's exactly what he's been doing - thank you both. I think he must just be settling in. He has adopted a cushion as his own now and slept on it all afternoon!
His name is Sylvester and he's a tabby with white paws and I'm quite besotted with him already. My husband might have to fight for his end of the sofa back!
Bonnie - I agree about the older cat thing, he's really playful and friendly, just like a younger cat with the advantage that he's already house-trained and hasn't climbed up the curtains (yet!). I have taken some pics on my phone, if I can work out how to transfer them to the computer I'll post them soon! :cat:

happyhippy

He sounds gorgeous Shirley,and it sounds like he is settling in very well! :iconbiggrin:

Milims

You do realise that we al want to see a photo of him! :iconbiggrin: He sounds lovely and I'm so please he's settling in :cat:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lovely to hear of a cat getting a happy new home :cheers:

Ours was a rescue case too - she was about 3 when we got her and she spent the first week right up in the workings of the sofa bed / behind the couch/freezer/whatever she could squeeze behind and would shake when held - she's now settled in and is totally bonkers, has claimed her own chair, is really cuddly, into absolutely everything and is frequently 1/2 duvet 1/2 cat - just like Julie's :thumbright:

Sylvester sounds like a lucky cat

Silver Ether

Wonderful ... He sounds like he is settling in really well ... Our Miss adopted us when she was 3 and half ... she is the most wonderful thing .... I hope is she gives you the pleasure Miss :icon_smile: gives us for a very long time .......
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

He sounds like he's settled really well! Your description of him rubbing his face against everything reminds me of Cat from Red Dwarf saying "This is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine..." when scent marking!

bonniethomas06

Sylvester is an excellent name for a cat. He must be proud.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

fifi folle wrote:He sounds like he's settled really well! Your description of him rubbing his face against everything reminds me of Cat from Red Dwarf saying "This is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine..." when scent marking!
"and all this is mine!" ... that was just what I was thinking!

sounds like Sylvester has landed on his feet with you Shirley.
I have four, plus one at my parents' (she is 11 & poorly :( trying her on meds before being pts for inoperable mass under her tongue/throat)

my friends tell me having 5 or more puts me in danger of being one of those "crazy cat ladies" who stops talking to people & has more cats than friends!
:sunny:

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

yes but sometimes cats make more sense than people!

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i agree he sounds like he is settling in very well - i'm happy for you, we currently only have a rescue cat and she adores us, very affectionate. she's got enough love even for us and at one time we used to have seven! (crazy cat lady & gentleman!) enjoy ^_^

Millymollymandy

Ahhh he sounds lovely and good for you for taking on an older cat. He sounds like he's quite settled and happy already. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

When are you getting Tweety pie? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin