Cannibal cats

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cannibal cats

I know it´s quite ommon /normal for a cat to "dispose" of newborn/young kittens, if they are the runts, or not thriving,
but lately, quite a lot of, not so young kittens have "disappeared". I know the dog "played" with 1 and it seemed dead ( but revived and crawled out of the bin, but thats another story), and it probably is the one found dead in the garden( 3 absolutely identical kittens so cant be sure)

Whilst I was away for 3 weeks, my son informed me that the Matriarch had "killed and eaten " 2 kittens (not hers).which may or may not be correct, but I just went out and found on the path, the dismembered head of 1 cat, technically still a kitten, I guess, but not quite fully grown. Other bits elsewhere, in various places, and several cats /kittens chomping away.

What is going on? they are all well fed, usually get on quite well together, and this latest one seemed quite well and healthy yesterday.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

Tbh...... I dont actually want any of them, they adopted us, and albeit they might wander off for months at a time, have made their homes in my garden and utility room, but although I´d like them all gone.......not like this!

spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Cannibal cats

Well niknik it looks like you've stumped this -isher group for sure! Sorry I can't help you as what I know about cats could be written on a stamp but it certainly sounds very unsavoury and weird! Not nice to discover bits and pieces all over the place :pukeright: . Hope someone will know what's going on.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

bonniethomas06

Oh my word! That sounds horrible!
I am no cat expert, but how old are the kittens? When our family cat had them when I was younger, we had to keep them in the spare room for (I think) a couple of months until they were big enough to go out safely.

Is there any way you could do this?

HOpefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apparently, it's the done thing in the cat world (all cats, including lions etc.) for a male to kill any offspring which weren't fathered by said male. Females will, in the wild (and yours sound pretty wild), form groups which look after all offspring, so it's unlikely that the murders were perpetrated by one of them. Far more likely, I think, that you have a wandering tom who got in amongst the kittens.

Mike

EDIT: ... and I've just noticed that you're in Spain, a place renowned for its feral cat population.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)