How far can a dog walk?

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

How far can a dog walk?

Hi all,

Can you help - I need to know how far I can walk my dog. She is a JR/Schnauzer cross and 9 months old. I think she has stopped growing - we haven't had to adjust her collar for ages and she hasn't visably grown.

I don't want to wear her out! But she managed a fairly steep 5.5mile walk at the weekend - I used to love long hikes and would like to take her with me. Would she cope with 8-10 miles do you think?

Any advice would be great.

Bonnie
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: How far can a dog walk?

Just like you would do for yourself; take it easy/gently, build up gradually, take a snack/drink if needed/not available, dont go on hot days [fat chance] watch for pad wear an generally be guided by her behaviour. May sleep well afterwards, but bet she will be fine.

Cant see a single reason [apart from biomechanical etc] why a dog couldnt do that, esp a working breed if not too far from good solid stock.
Sarah :flower:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

As this is your first time at 10 miles I would suggest that you try to pace her.
I would keep her on lead but set a nice fast pace walk or jog initially. This will do two things get her mind focused on you and she together, rather than her just tearing around. But most importantly she will be able to do the full walk rather than exhaust herself in the early stages.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

boboff

18.4 miles in stillettos.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:18.4 miles in stillettos.
You or the dog?

Once took our collie on a sponsored 10 mile walk and she coped with that fine.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

prison break fan

Hi, having had 5 Jack Russells over the course of time, I have never managed to tire one out yet!! My present one is 8 years old and can keep going all day if allowed. She is very crafty, when faced with walking along a road she is exhausted, and needs a carry! but put her in the fields or along the river bank and she loves it. pbf.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

good idea Trinder..otherwise, Bonnie, she´ll do 8 miles in your first 2!

make sure , you have something suitable to carry her in, just in case, .luckily she´s small, can barely pick my smallest one.and as for the Lab x.......

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks Niknik. Only when someone adds to (my) post do I realise that I hadn't made that clear. Yes I didn't mean keep her on lead all the way round.
Also only you know what your dog is like (Confident- timid adventurous - unruly- excited ).
My GSD for instance if she goes walking with our dog friends she is racing around and following a JR who is a great rabbiter in and out of brambles. If she is with another big dog or a young dog she does lots of chasing and rolling and play fighting. But when its just me and her I love to "hunt" with her. Because I have a better high distance vision as soon as I spot something -I freeze- stare sniff and start slowly to move towards it. She is instantly alert and at my side we then trot together to where it was and she picks up the scent. we go round and round the bush I occasionally kick the bush and she darts round to where it might break cover. Sometimes it does but often it has already gone to ground.
Apart from the enjoyment I get from the togetherness, It has set us up for the occasions where I want her to be utterly focused on me and because of this game she is quick to focus and once I have her full attention I can use a command e.g. heel.
Because she is a big (long coated black) girl people and other dogs could be intimidated so I always like to control introductions.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

bonniethomas06

Thanks all, feel better about taking her on long distances now, will try her on an 8 miler this weekend and see how she goes. As you say, she is small enough to tuck under my arm if she gets tired!

P.s. Boboff, asked the pet shop for doggy stillettoes. They said not to be so ridiculous - with legs like hers it would make her bum look big.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

How did it go ?

bonniethomas06

Haven't had a chance to put it into action yet unfortunately - it has rained solidly here for ages and the weekend was a washout :( Will let you know how it goes though when we do take her for a hike.

My blog...

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Both of my dogs will walk for miles and miles without a problem! Just be careful that the ground is not hot and that you've got water for them.

Usually, after a long walk, they'll get hot paws and crash out for a few hours sleep. The next day, they're raring to go again. I usually make sure they have plenty of fresh water and a few biscuits (i use complete food biscuits) whenever we stop for a rest.

alexllever
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 275.8
longitude: 43.8

i've seen a show that a cat in Japan was sent to other's home. but he walked home back for 3 or 4 days i forgot across river, roads, forest. miles. nobody knows how could he make it! dogs must be stronger i think.

ohhh... poor kitty
baby baby, come back to me :brave:

FarmerTones
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've never owned a dog that couldn't walk a lot further than me. The challenge is walking them far enough to satisfy them. I tend to run mine behind my truck.

I generally keep working boar dogs, and I wouldn't advise this for toy breeds, but a schnauzer x jr is serious enough to handle a serious walk.

bonniethomas06

Gosh, thanks for posting and hi FarmerJones :wave:

I had forgotten all about this - said dog is now nearly 3. Makes me realise how little I hike any more as I haven't done anything over 5 miles in ages. Must get on it again!

Unfortunately since I now work full time, during the week I outsource my dog-walking and pay a dogsitter £10 a day for the pleasure. Modern life is rubbish eh?

My blog...