Retreat biting.

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Retreat biting.

the.fee.fairy wrote: Is he aggressive or whining when you move away? Or does he just shrug and get on with whatever he wants to do?
If I ignore him, first he lays his head on my knee and looks up at me from under his eyelashes, or he tries to put his nose under my arm, then if I carry on ignoring him he ambles off quite quickly and does his own thing. I think I might stop staring him out, like Demi said, it does seem a bit rude!

I did have to stare out a difficult customer in the shop I work in today though and in that context it was very effective, so I suppose thank you Milo for the practice.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

he is definitely just wanting your attention, and you are giving it to him by staring back at him, which then invites him to come closer to you for a pat. he sounds like a very lovely dog, you dont have a problem here he just likes you, thats all. :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

well done Demi. I was sitting on my hands at this question. It is a acknowledged to be breed habit. I have read it but it's not one on my "known breeds" apparently it can be incredibly intense it really is a stare rather than a gaze but GSD's I do know and they definitely like to look at faces and engage GSD's can see this as a challenge and do not like a hard stare back unlike most dogs who find eye contact uncomfortable and do not engage ( my special knowledge is gun-dogs in this category) a less guarding breed just find the whole thing way too much.
I really do not know however, why there is three completely different dog type attitudes.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham