amaranth

Not the 1970s UK TV programme, but a free place for people to swap, give away or sell anything from seeds to tractors. Anything illegal or immoral will be deleted.
Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

amaranth

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi, does anyone have some amaranth seeds I could have for growing grain...
I can swap for various things, just let me know if there's anything in particular you want. I seem to have built up a bit of a collection. :icon_smile:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: amaranth

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 am

Hi nomada, I've got some of last year crop saved so you can have some if you want it.

Have you eaten amaranth - I bought the original seeds with a view to cutting down on bought grains but found it fairly disgusting, a bit like snot porridge :pukeright:

I am, however, prepared to accept it may be the way I cooked it so if anyone has some tasty recipes that don't have the consistency of snail trails I'd be very grateful.

P.S. It is worth growing as a decorative plant though - lovely. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:49 am

Yes please! I'll be baking it into bread hopefully, a bit like using poppy seeds! I've not actually tried it, I'm experimenting with stuff I can add to other things like bread and soups to increase the range of nutrients you get and bulk things out a bit. Do you get a mucilage off it, bit like okra? I actually imagined it to be a bit gritty for some reason.
I'm going to grow millet,poppy seeds, flax seeds and quinoa too but I've tried those before (although the quinoa died last year through my neglect when they were starting off :oops: ). I've heard that you can pop it like a pop corn and then use it in recipes, I think the leaves are edible too.
I can swap with other things if you want, I've got various veg, some unusual sprouts/kales/red cabbage/fennel/ celeriac/ chinese kale/tomatiloes/ cherry toms/ strawberry popcorn and quinoa, also some fruit seeds (for physalis and passion fruit).
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:45 pm

I'd love to have a go at passionfruit.

PM me your address and I'll get some amaranth off to you next week (it may be a day or two - I've got to do my tax return!) :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Return to “Swap Shop, Trading Area and Seed Swap Area”