Yacon / Yakon plants for sale

Not the 1970s UK TV programme, but a free place for people to swap, give away or sell anything from seeds to tractors. Anything illegal or immoral will be deleted.
Moonbeam88
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yacon / Yakon plants for sale

I've got a couple dozen yacon / yakon plants for sale. They are well-established in 10cm (4 inch) pots.

Price is £4 each or 3 for £10.

Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) are also known as Peruvian ground apples (at least, that's what BBC's James Wong calls them). This will be our fourth year growing yacon. I *love* this crop, it's easy to grow and isn't bothered by pests. Plant out after all danger of frost has passed. You'll get the best crop by making sure the soil is well dug, and adding some homemade compost or well-rotted manure. Then just keep them watered during any dry spells.

Yacon is harvested in the autumn, after frost has killed the foliage. Take care when digging them, as the tubers snap easily. In 2011, we had an average of 3.4kg of tubers from each plant. Highest yield from one plant was 4.6kg. The tubers can get enormous. According to James Wong, the plants can yield 5 to 10 kg per plant.

Yacon tubers look a bit like sweet potatoes, but they have a crisp texture and delicate flavour. When freshly dug, the flavour is cucumber- or carrot-ish, but if the tubers are kept in the light after harvesting, they become sweet. They will keep for a couple of months after harvesting. They are a great alternative to waterchestnuts (say, in a stir-fry), and are delicious in salads. We often just peel and slice them, sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve as a snack or side dish. You can also make syrup from them by juicing the tubers, then boiling the liquid down (I haven't tried this myself).

More info here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... cook-yacon

Yacon stores its carbohydrates in the form of inulin, which does not raise blood glucose levels. Yacon tubers have a very low glycemic index, and are low in calories.

More info on the health properties of yacon here:
http://www.iron-clay.com/herbal_remedies/yacon.html

I'm located in the Bristol area (Nailsea). The yacon plants can be picked up, or I can deliver locally (Nailsea/Backwell) free of charge. Can also arrange to deliver them to the wider Bristol area for a small fee. Please note that I'm in Bristol, UK, not in one of the many Bristol's in the United States :icon_smile:

Please email me at yacon@go-self-sufficient.net
or reply to this post, or private message me :sunny: