does anybody have any grape vine seeds that they wanna swap

Not the 1970s UK TV programme, but a free place for people to swap, give away or sell anything from seeds to tractors. Anything illegal or immoral will be deleted.
jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

does anybody have any grape vine seeds that they wanna swap

i have had an erge to grow some grapes for a while but i dont know were to get them.
does anybody want to swap any of mine for some
ive got many differant packets of seeds so pleaz can sum1 help me
thanks alot
jenko

hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oooh if you'd asked last year I'd have had loads.
:roll:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks anyway

how succsesfull were you with growing them, did you get much crop?

hedgewitch

My Vine's four years old now and last year was the first year that there was a considerable about of grapes on there, I should let you know that I live in Spain and it's not officially my vine - it's planted in my neighbours garden and has found its way over to mine and all up my balcony.

:flower:

I'll save you some seeds for next year how about that.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

ilan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

For grape vines its best to take hard wood cuttings in the autum . I think growing from seed can be a bit risky as they may not carry any fruit or be poor croppers and it will take some years to find out ? perhaps repost in the autum and I sure someone will be able to post a few cuttings to you .
we just borrow the earth leave it better than you found it

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yes please thankyou very much

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

all my grape vines were grown from cuttings.the first a total world dominating triffid came from our good friend gino and is an unusual taste must be for wine but my husband and the birds eat them. Ernie gave me a handfull of sticks which i planted and they are alovely sweet grape .i think they are muscatel but the birds nicked almost all of them. from cuttings i think about 50% grew. i grow them for fun and shade. as iam to gardening as Herod is to childcare i reckon they must be easy to grow.

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

we have very healthy vine from my nono's cutings and several "stand by"bits in pots for if and when we find room for them never get a grape tho they get striped in a day by the local blackbirds :? :shock: :?
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: does anybody have any grape vine seeds that they wanna swap

i was told to re-post this topic during the cuttings season

i dont supose anybody wants to swap, or trade, some grape vine seeds or cuttings

i did origanly post this topic, and i would like to grow my own grapes, in my greenhouse

please let me know, and i will try and get hold of something in return for them, something that you may not be able to get a hold off.

please pm me if you can

thanks

ilan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi please send a message with your addy thanks Ian
we just borrow the earth leave it better than you found it

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just bought a Marechal Foch Grapevine from Morrisons...

They were 12.99 each, Am toying with the idea of putting it at the allotment

The small grape size means that the birds like them so will have to net,

Was wondering if they could be grown in a pot but think that it would have to be a very large pot and I dont have one

not yet anyway as I could use a dustbin to have it as a potted vine but I think having one in earth is possible better

Will see if I can clear some more brambles and put up a climbing frame for the grapevine
Rohen the Dobermann owner

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The season for grape cuttings is autumn pruning time after all the leaves fall off and the vines are dormant.Push the cuttings into the soil in a sheltered dampish corner and see how many sprout up next spring,they started to put out leaves about end of april this year in Worcester.If you ask about you may find somebody on the local allotments who grows an outdoor grape vine.Remind me in November and I could send you some sticks to try.

Toddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Vines grow well in the UK, I have 60 vines growing on my allotment and produce wine each year. Not fully self sufficient yet but still get up to 30 bottles from each harvest.

I have tried rooting cuttings in the Autumn, and this does work about a 20% success rate and so far I have 7 vines that have been produced just by rooted cuttings. If you are thinking of growing from cuttings then seek out a local supply for cuttings. The only thing with cuttings is that they take about 3-4 years to come to fruiting.

My main vines are grafted onto special disease resistant rootstock that is suitable for the soil type.

Your Marechal Foch is an interesting choice and should produce some nice red grapes for winemaking. It was developed in the Alsace region of France and is cold hardy.

On my plot I grow Reichensteiner (16 Vines) Seyval Blanc (14 Vines) Bacchus (7 vines) which are white grapes and Pinot Gris (20 Vines) which are pink grapes. I let each vine produce about 6 good bunches of grapes and a single vine gives about 1 litre of grape juice on average.

The birds are a problem sometimes, I cover the vines with strands of black cotton in the Autumn to deter them.

Good luck with your vine.

Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Jenko,

I have a white grape vine that I could take cuttings from. We are in Derbyshire (Matlock) every couple of months, so I could pass them on to you then.

I got mine from Aldi / Lidl about 4 years ago, very cheap and they fruited the next year, so that may be a better bet, however my offer stands, I'll give you cuttings no problem, just let me know.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

sorry cligereen

ive not been on for a while sorry not to reply
thanks for the offer anyway
didnt meen to be rude and not answer