What do you guys do for seeds?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

What do you guys do for seeds?

I need organic or not treated veg seeds...I'm a certified poorper :king: at the mo so anyone got any tips or know any good (cheap!) websites?

Taaaaa :occasion5:
As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

cheapest I've spotted are Woolworths and Lidl :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks for that :shock: :lol:

Like your site btw..which you were closer.. :geek:

Peggy Sue

I can recommend realseed you can google them. They are all heritage organic seeds and grow really well. Some kind soul on here recommended them to me.
Just Do It!

hamster

I like Real Seeds - and they come with seed-saving instructions. An excellent business model imho. Tamar organics are good too, and cheaper than I was expecting.

Cheapest of all is to scrounge or swap them though as most people will end up with more than they need in a packet. I was given lots of herbs by a lady down the road as she said she wasn't going to plant them all, and I've offloaded spare seed potatoes on Freecycle myself. Can you get together with anybody and go halves? What were you after? I have spares of various things.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Jove
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

seeds

Hi, here in Vlaanderen (Belgium) I'm a member of VELT (www.velt.be), an group for ecological living. Every year we get the chance of buying bio-seeds for the (vegetable) garden. These products are bought in companies like De Bolster (www.bolster.nl - site in dutch only) in Holland and also a few french companies. I've been using them for many years now and every year we can buy a wide variety of seeds and plantgood (onions, potatoes)

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do you have a Seed Savers Exchange chapter in your area? It's a worldwide organisation; we're fortunate to have a chapter near us in New Zealand.

Found this website for the UK:
http://www.primalseeds.org/seedexchange.htm

You can also do what a large group of us in New Zealand have done, on a farming forum somewhat similar to this one: set up a Seed Box, which has been up and down this country multiple times over the last few years, and all you have to pay is the postage of forwarding the box to the next person and adding a few seeds of your own.

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

Bonniegirl

farmerdrea wrote:Do you have a Seed Savers Exchange chapter in your area? It's a worldwide organisation; we're fortunate to have a chapter near us in New Zealand.

Found this website for the UK:
http://www.primalseeds.org/seedexchange.htm

You can also do what a large group of us in New Zealand have done, on a farming forum somewhat similar to this one: set up a Seed Box, which has been up and down this country multiple times over the last few years, and all you have to pay is the postage of forwarding the box to the next person and adding a few seeds of your own.

Cheers
Andrea
NZ
I suggested this a while back, and someone started a secret santa type swap and it didn't work out. The seed box works so much better as it is in NZ but it didn't seem to appeal, which is a shame. :?
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not sure what you mean about the seed box working better as it's in New Zealand, Bonniegirl?? We had one in the US as well, much larger region, but it still worked great. It helps to have an online network like this, because it'd be easier to track it down if it went missing or was overdue because someone forgot about it (it happens!), but the one I belonged to way back when was before the days of internet chatrooms and forums, so it was all my snail mail. Obviously it probably wouldn't work too well from country to country, not sure about biosecurity issues in the EU, though.

Andrea
NZ

Bonniegirl

I was referring to the seed box running on LSB, NZ.:wink:
That one is working well, it was believed that system wouldn't work so another method was tried and that didn't work very well.
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Some good idea's- I like the thought of swapping seeds- maybe the guys at the top :andy: :dave: could start a new thread and we could do it on this site? What you guys think? :mrgreen:

Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

[quote="hamster"]I like Real Seeds - and they come with seed-saving instructions. An excellent business model imho. Tamar organics are good too, and cheaper than I was expecting.

Cheapest of all is to scrounge or swap them though as most people will end up with more than they need in a packet. I was given lots of herbs by a lady down the road as she said she wasn't going to plant them all, and I've offloaded spare seed potatoes on Freecycle myself. Can you get together with anybody and go halves? What were you after? I have spares of various things.[/quote]

Oh and btw- thanks for such a kind offer...expect a list coming your way soon :wink: teehee x

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mirrie wrote:Some good idea's- I like the thought of swapping seeds- maybe the guys at the top :andy: :dave: could start a new thread and we could do it on this site? What you guys think? :mrgreen:

We have one already :mrgreen: here

just tell folks what you want and what you have... the offers may roll in, I have taken part in many successful swaps on this site :cheers:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yeaaaaaaaaa! Didnt realise that was there!! xthanx