Best charity shop in the WORLD

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best charity shop in the WORLD

Due to the book promotional stuff I am frequently finding myself in new towns and cites. I thought it would be good to find some really decent charity shops around the country.

So is there any big favorites out there?

I will nominate Womens aid, Walcot Street, Bath and in Bristol I like the Cat Rescue place on Church Road. Both are really cheap and stacked to the rafters with everything you need at a very cheap price.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

tim&fatima
A selfsufficientish Regular

I am a volunteer for "beacon centre for the blind" charity. I work in one of the shops near to my house. I drop "A" off at school then do a few hours. it's great, really nice atmosphere, and the bargins. charity shops are fantastic. :thumbright:
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.

Shirley

I like the one in Alford, Aberdeenshire - can't remember what the charity is, something to do with the local churches. Staffed by friendly folk who are always happy to have a natter and crammed with bargains galore.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hamster

In Oxford, there's a good Oxfam on the Cowley Rd and a mad charity shop on St Clements where you have to properly hunt for stuff but I've found some good books for next to nothing.

There's one near Waitrose in Wokingham that has knitting needles and occasionally dress patterns and wool.[/i]
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Oxfam shop in Whitby has to be congratulated for making itself look like a Harrod's department and charging accordingly.

Esther.R
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

A bit off the beaten track, but the 'Scrapstore' in Lerwick (Shetland!) is fantastic, it is a charity shop run by the local group for adults with learning disabilities and functions as a fund raising and training centre. It is stacked to the rafters with furniture (ranging from tat to antiques), books, pushchairs, bric-a-brac etc. Got a £350 off-road double buggy in there the other week for £50 and its in great condition. Any extra furniture we need comes from there, last week we got a nice wardrobe for £30! Fantastic place to rummage and sensible prices.

ina

I shall visit that next time I'm in Lerwick... Hopefully some time not too far in the future - I need a holiday!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Down road from me in Prudhoe is the youth centre charity shop which is an Aladdin's cave for many items that you want round the house - picked up an Ikea shoe rack that is doing duty as shelves in allotment shed for £1, found a computer desk to match the wood on chairs and a crazy shaped shelf for an alcove corner that does for radios and "stuff". It does pretty well for all the general "stuff" that is cleared out of houses as it has a lot of garage type space at the back where it can store and display. As pavement is very wide in front of it there is never a problem when it puts items out in front of shop either. Good place. Good prices.

WiseBird
Tom Good
Tom Good

Here in Bridport we have a few charity shops. One of the best is the Mencap one, a 'traditional' one where you can have a good rumage and find a huge variety of things...a couple of weeks ago I got a brand new pair of FCUK jeans for £2.80 - (£75 to buy new!) Today a lovely stock pot with steamer and pasta inserts, just £2.00 and a brand new pair of Regatta ladies outdoor trousers, still with the label attached for £3.00. We also have Oxfam, Julia's House (local hospice), Cancer Research, Scope, Sue Ryder and YMCA...not bad in such a tiny town!

I can't resist going in them at least 3 times a week...but as I live right in the town I go in almost every day...if I'm passing you understand :wink:
Give us Lord, a bit o' sun,
A bit o' work and a bit o' fun;
Give us all in the struggle and sputter
Our daily bread and a bit o' butter.

From an inn in Lancaster, England

thomasgreen
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've been to that mad charity shop on St Clements! You really do have to properly hunt for stuff! It's fantastic!!